•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rainbow around the moon last night?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

I live in the SE and went out to set up my scope and was greated with a rainbow colored halo around the entire moon. It was quite pretty and I don't think I have ever seen that effect before?

• TieDyeAstronomer likes this

#2 TieDyeAstronomer

TieDyeAstronomer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

You probably saw a corona! There was a nice aureole (the center part of a corona) here last night in SE Texas, and a corona on Wednesday night.

Aureoles are very common, and appear as a bright white (sometimes blueish) halo extending from the moon, with an orange/reddish band on the edge. When the droplets in the cloud causing the aureole are very uniform in size, the rest of the corona can appear, as an extra set of fainter bands going through the full rainbow.

You can read more about it here (be sure to check out the other corona-related pages linked on the left):

https://www.atoptics...ets/cormoon.htm

One of the cool things about coronae is that simply by their size and brightness, they tell you about the droplet size and variation in sizes inside of a cloud! If you watch low clouds passing over a bright moon, you can sometimes see the corona shift and morph, brightening, dimming, and changing size as different sets of droplets are illuminated.

Clear Skies -- sometimes!

• REC, BFaucett and B 26354 like this

#3 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

These are common in alaska in winter. Seems like the larger the halo, the more chance of snow.

#4 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Here's a sun halo from last month... similar phenomenon to the moon halo.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_8516.jpg
  • DSC_8522.jpg
  • DSC_8508.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, frank5817, REC and 1 other like this

#5 TieDyeAstronomer

TieDyeAstronomer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:55 PM

Here are some pictures that I took of the coronae recently:

970ohOs.jpg

67NeCZ5.jpg

Those two are from Wednesday night. It helps to photograph a corona if you block out the moon with a foreground object!

Last night's display was mostly an aureole, but there were some very faint rainbow corona colors at one point. (Note Jupiter through the tree branches):

dCHhf3x.jpg

0dsudM9.jpg

All of those photos were taken with my cellphone (a Pixel 2, #1 on Wednesday was using Night Sight mode), except for the last one, which was taken with a Canon 350D & Samyang 135mm f/2 at around f/8.

Interesting Skies!

• Dave Mitsky, frank5817, John_Moore and 4 others like this

#6 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

Here's a sun halo from last month... similar phenomenon to the moon halo.

You probably saw a corona! There was a nice aureole (the center part of a corona) here last night in SE Texas, and a corona on Wednesday night.

Aureoles are very common, and appear as a bright white (sometimes blueish) halo extending from the moon, with an orange/reddish band on the edge. When the droplets in the cloud causing the aureole are very uniform in size, the rest of the corona can appear, as an extra set of fainter bands going through the full rainbow.

You can read more about it here (be sure to check out the other corona-related pages linked on the left):

https://www.atoptics...ets/cormoon.htm

One of the cool things about coronae is that simply by their size and brightness, they tell you about the droplet size and variation in sizes inside of a cloud! If you watch low clouds passing over a bright moon, you can sometimes see the corona shift and morph, brightening, dimming, and changing size as different sets of droplets are illuminated.

Clear Skies -- sometimes!

Thanks, didn't know the moon could have a corona, just the sun!

The last picture is close to what I saw. Thanks for posting!

• BFaucett, TieDyeAstronomer and NorthernlatAK like this

#7 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

Here are some pictures that I took of the coronae recently:

970ohOs.jpg

67NeCZ5.jpg

Those two are from Wednesday night. It helps to photograph a corona if you block out the moon with a foreground object!

Last night's display was mostly an aureole, but there were some very faint rainbow corona colors at one point. (Note Jupiter through the tree branches):

dCHhf3x.jpg

0dsudM9.jpg

All of those photos were taken with my cellphone (a Pixel 2, #1 on Wednesday was using Night Sight mode), except for the last one, which was taken with a Canon 350D & Samyang 135mm f/2 at around f/8.

Interesting Skies!

Thanks!

• frank5817, TieDyeAstronomer and bchandler like this

#8 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:09 PM

Lunar Ring - Nov 2016.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M1, ISO 200, Oly 12-60mm zoom at 12mm, 10 seconds at f2.8

• John_Moore and REC like this

#9 ww321q

ww321q

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Winton Ca.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

Yep ! That's what I was seeing early this morning when I first setup. I thought it may be my eyes being a little watery. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics