•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rolling Gate Opener for ROR

equipment observatory
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

Has anyone had experience with this type of unit in their ROR observatory? I don't know if the gate opener might be easier to install and work as well as a garage door opener. My ROR is only 8'X10' so the roof weight is well within its wt. limit. Thanks for any information or opinion you may have.

Grey

#2 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

I don't have experience with that gate opener but I installed this one and it is a power house.  My roof is heavy framed with 2x6 1/2 plywood and standard shingles, this thing has no problem at all opening the roof.  I bought the gear rail over the chain and glad I did,  it's is very quiet and no stretching adjustment needed.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Gate Opener.jpg

• Greyhaven, Dan Williams and quality guy like this

#3 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

I know of people who have panel garage door controllers to slide their ROR open and closed , similar deal I think and they work fine.

I guess it comes down to price .

#4 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

I don't have experience with that gate opener but I installed this one and it is a power house.  My roof is heavy framed with 2x6 1/2 plywood and standard shingles, this thing has no problem at all opening the roof.  I bought the gear rail over the chain and glad I did,  it's is very quiet and no stretching adjustment needed.  

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the rack systems and I'm weighing the benefits of a solid rack taking the stress instead of the frame work of the roof. You've got me rethinking my options.

Grey

#5 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:15 AM

Keith,

Would you put up a couple more images of your opener setup please. I'm thinking along these lines as well for my RoR. Is it possible to fully roll off or must the roof end up overhanging the building by the size of the opener "box"?

Peter

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

We have four Alekos opening our 10x12 roofs almost every night out in the desert. They are externally mounted. I’m not sure how you would get the roof to fully open with an internal mounting. 

#7 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

I hope there are a few more photos or sketches  of different mounting options. I had been visualizing on an internal mount and trying to figure out how much internal over hang I would have to live with. This would be on a side that has trees limiting (obscuring) the horizon, so isn't  critical. Thanks for all the responses.

Grey

• RossW likes this

#8 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:18 PM

Keith,

Would you put up a couple more images of your opener setup please. I'm thinking along these lines as well for my RoR. Is it possible to fully roll off or must the roof end up overhanging the building by the size of the opener "box"?

Peter

If you install it inside you would need to extend the track a few inches outside to allow the roof to go all the way open.  Here are a few more photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gate Opener2.jpg

#9 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• gate opener3.jpg

#10 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• gate opener4.jpg

#11 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

A view outside under the opened roof.

Attached Thumbnails

• gate opener5.jpg

• Greyhaven likes this

#12 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:25 PM

The opener senses a magnet on each end of the rack to stop the opener.  You can move the magnet anywhere on the rack that you want it to stop for both opening and closing.   Because I attached my opener inside I had to reverse the opening rotation of the motor because the pinion gear is contacting the rack on the opposite side as normally mounted.  All that was needed was a dip switch change.   

#13 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

Here is a view showing the size of the roof.  The size is 13' by 9'.    Before I had the opener I opened it by hand.  It is a heavy roof to move and took a lot of effort, in the winter it was even harder.  I didn't know what to expect the first time I tried it after installing, it opened it with no hesitation at all, I was relieved laugh.gif.  This motor is strong.

Attached Thumbnails

• roof opener6.jpg

• Greyhaven likes this

#14 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

Keith, it sure looks like the neatest way to meet my needs. My roof is much smaller and built to be as light as practical in my snowy Maine climate. My heart failure issues are sapping my strength and this sounds like the answer. Thanks for going that extra measure to help a fellow CN'er.

Grey

post-3486-14073846346147_thumb.jpg

The Cider House Observatory

#15 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

You are welcome Grey.  That is a great looking OBS and I LOVE the porch, nicely done.   

Let me know if you need more photos or if you have any questions, I think you'll be happy with an opener on your roof.  I sometimes just open and close it in the daytime just for grins lol.gif .  

• Greyhaven likes this

#16 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

This motor is strong.

Is there a way to move the roof manually if the power fails?  I am in the boondocks with solar/generator power, and might need to close my roof manually if the generator dies. 

#17 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

You disconnect it and push it closed.
  • t-ara-fan likes this

#18 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

Is there a way to move the roof manually if the power fails?  I am in the boondocks with solar/generator power, and might need to close my roof manually if the generator dies. 

It comes with a key that you insert and turn to disengage the motor from the gear.   

Edited by kolsen, 18 June 2019 - 10:55 PM.

• Raginar and t-ara-fan like this

#19 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

Well my friends, thanks to your helpful advice and photos plus some time measuring my particular application. I took the plunge and ordered the sliding gate opener and it will be here Monday. Wish me luck!smash.gif

Grey

Screenshot (71).png

• Special Ed likes this

#20 kolsen

kolsen

Vostok 1

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:49 PM

Nice Grey I think you will like it.  Did you order the track too? You have to order it separately.

• Greyhaven likes this

#21 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:57 PM

I have an Aleko gate opener on my obs in the desert. (Same desert area as Charles). Works fine.

Beware, though that it takes some thought to get it installed right.

It is supposed to be mounted with the rack facing down, and the gear on the motor vertical, its cogs meeting the downward facing rack. The motor housing should be vertical. In fact, I think everybody I know has the rack sideways, and the motor mounted horizontally (instead of vertical). Works fine. 

Mounted vertically, with the rack above the gear, and the weight of the gate holding the cogs together, there is no problem. That is how they are designed to run. The design forces the cogs of the rack and the gear to intermesh.  However, our installations are horizontal. And remember, for most of us, the roofs can slide slightly side to side. So, several of us have had a problem with the rack and gear separating. In this state, the motor will turn, and the gear will of course turn, but since the cogs are not intermeshed with those of the rack, the roof will not move. So, be sure you do not have too much sideways movement, and be sure your rack is adjusted fairly close to the gear. 

One other thing, I think we have noticed...….Extend the rack well past the farthest it will ever be expected to move the roof. (Well past means at least to the next anchoring screw.) That is, have rack sticking out further than what you thought was the end point of travel. This extra bit assures that you will have further reinforcement past the point of furthest travel. If you do not have this, the entire force of the gear/rack interface will be on one screw that holds your rack to the roof. (Or even worse, cantilevered past that last screw!!!) That screw will loosen. If instead, you have additional fastener further along the ling, the pressure is distributed more equally, and you have less chance of separation between the rack and gear. 

Note, These things are made to sit outside in the rain and snow and all sorts of evil things. They are, after all, gate openers. But, I always felt sorry for them, since they were designed to sit vertically, and we have them horizontally, with the gears and stuff facing up into the hot sun, and falling sand and dust. So, I built a little extension of my roof  that, when the roof is closed, covers the motor and gear. It should be said that while we have all said we thought about something falling into the gears since they are mounted sideways instead of as designed, .....nobody to my knowledge has ever had a problem. Even those without that little roof extension to cover the mechanism.

Or maybe not. I am just trying to relate what I think I have seen in the eight to ten installations we have at our site. 

Alex

• Greyhaven likes this

#22 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:59 PM

Keith

I ordered 4 lengths of rack probably won't need the forth. Should all be here Monday. Thanks for the help!

Grey

#23 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

Alex

Thanks for the additional information. Some of which surprised me. Mounting it outside...

I had planed to set the unit inside the observatory against the roll off wall. Vertical if possible horizontal if needed.

I called the manufacturer's support dept and after they scurried about for a few minutes the fine lady said they thought it was 13"X13" X10" or so.smirk.gif  Close enough for government work. It will be here Monday and I'll pace it off myself. I've read that I should allow 1/16 " clearance from the apex of the rack tooth and bottom of the gear to prevent excessive wear. I'll be sure to mount the unit securely. I have 4 sections of rack coming just in case.

Thanks for the info.

Grey

#24 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

As has been addressed in the thread, if you mount the motor inside, your motor will be in the way of the roof fully opening. Not a killer, but something to plan around.

Alex

#25 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:16 AM

Good luck with this, Grey.  I've been looking at installing this same setup in my observatory.  I'm watching with interest.  smile.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics