•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Lens Quality!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:22 PM

Hello All,
What is it about really quality lens, as an example, Pentax,etc., that creates the better resolution and contrast versus a cheaper brand bino?

I have read that European glass is great, then I heard Japanese glass is great. What is it about Chinese glass that everyone considers second or third rate?
My own personal experience points out that Pentax lens are better than say Obies and others. Would you rather have cheap binos or great lens quality? Fully Multi-Coated being equal. :confused:
Ray A. (Curious)

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

Curious Ray asks :

<Would you rather have cheap binos or great lens quality?>

Well , I know what I and I'm sure almost EVERYONE would RATHER have :-)

I would hazard a guess that PRICE might just play a part in the decision making process !

As regards the "given EQUAL fully -multi -coating" proviso, I think that is overly hypothetical.

The QUALITY of GLASS , the QUALITY of COATINGS ,the LAYERS of coatings applied , the professional application of those coatings to EVERY glass surface and QUALITY CONTROL itself are factors which I would have thought REALLY make the difference.

Regards -- Kenny.

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:44 AM

Don't forget the quality of the plastic used in optics.

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:22 AM

I'm going to take that as plastic used in lenses. I hear about plastic being used in camera lenses but I never hear about the use of plastic in binoculars or telescopes.

Is is used? Is it really bad if used? Is there a place for it?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics