•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Butterfly Nebula region (first light with Voyager)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

Here’s my latest image of the Butterfly Nebula region in Cygnus taken over three nights.  This is a first light while using a new acquisition software package - Voyager.  I’m completely sold on it since it offers a ton of customizability, is very stable (no crashes good error handling, etc.) and is very reasonably priced for what it can do.  This summer, despite the short nights, should be a lot of fun with Voyager running the show.

Description:
The Butterfly Nebula, IC1318, is a mix of emission and dark nebulae near the bright star Sadr in constellation Cygnus and lies some 4900 light years away. By comparison, Sadr is a foreground star and lies 1900 light years away. The dark molecular clouds running through the region are physically related to the emission nebula and gives the nebula its distinct butterfly shape.

Details:
Scope: TMB130SS @ f/5
Reducer: Stellarvue 0.72x reducer/flattener
Camera: QHY16200A
Guide Camera: Starlight Xpress Ultrastar
Mount: AP1100 GTO
Ha: 11x15min
OIII: 10x15min
SII: 6x15min
Software: Voyager, PHD2, APCC, Pixinsight
6.8 hrs total exposure

get.jpg?insecure

Edited by AstroGabe, 16 June 2019 - 02:57 PM.

• psandelle, durak, R Botero and 14 others like this

#2 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

Nice one Gabe! I just started working on this as well. Its the first narrowband target to pop up over my neighbors house, so I jumped on it :).

Any thoughts on killing the pink stars? Thats the only think I see that could be a little distracting.

• AstroGabe likes this

#3 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Working on this project as well, although framed differently. Love the nebula detail in this. You might want to invert the image and hit it with SCNR, then invert it back and see if that fixes the star issue. Seems to be a trick most folks are using these days with success.

Also great to hear that you have Voyager running well. :)

• AstroGabe likes this

#4 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:12 PM

Thanks MB!  This was one of the first interesting narrowband objects to rise for me too.  Definitely a lot going on in the frame and a great spot to soak up photons from.  I saw your Ha image - very well done!  I'll look forward to your SHO version as well :) 

Great suggestion Bill!  That makes a lot of sense, and really made a difference.  I had treated the smaller stars with a color mask, but this is so much easier and cleaner.  Here's the revision with the SCNR trick:

get.jpg?insecure

• rockstarbill likes this

#5 Acer

Acer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

Very nice, and very sharp stars, you must have some good guiding figures.  

Photos like this make me want to take apart my filter wheel and replace my LRGB filters with Ha, OIII and SII.  I have the filters, but never bothered yet.

• AstroGabe likes this

#6 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, that’s a great little trick to keep in the bag. If you have something like a galaxy with ha regions you don’t want killed you can mask them off while the image is inverted. There is a pixelmath formula floating around to get rid of magenta, but sometimes it leaves artifacts behind.

Great revision!
  • AstroGabe likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics