•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observatory ladder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

what type of observatory ladder/chair you have in your dome?

I'm finding quite cumbersome to identify a observatory ladder to use in my 4m observatory.

The pier is 1.80m hight and with mount and tube we are at almost 1.80m heigh compared to the observatory floor.

Any suggestion?

Regards,

Marco

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Soyuz

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

Hi, Marco! If you have enough room, warehouse ladders are wonderful and affordable. I make just one modification to them: replace the ~forward end~ fixed casters with locking swivel casters. Makes it far easier to maneuver around, even move it sideways. As a bonus, the ladders are always available right in there ~ready to roll~ for dome maintenance, etc.

They have railings both sides, platform top, are more like a staircase than a ladder. Comfortable on the feet and... safe!

There are many brands to choose from, starting at just a few steps, and all the way up to sixteen steps!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 64 83 36-incher upper cage annotated.jpg

#3 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bay Area

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:45 PM

Hi, Marco! If you have enough room, warehouse ladders are wonderful and affordable. Tom

Is that a bat as the Mascot Flapper?

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 16 June 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Soyuz

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:26 PM

Is that a bat as the Mascot Flapper?

- Cal

Yeah, this picture shows him better!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 47 Brobdingnagius Rex 36-inch with Flapper 95.jpg

• JMKarian, alstarjoey and Stevegeo like this

#5 VinceV

VinceV

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern PA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

I use an aluminum Gorilla Ladder (250lb rated) that has four steps (the bottom two are steps, the top two are platforms). The total height is 5.5 feet tall (for safety when you stand on the top platform) and it has a very narrow profile when not in use. I use this ladder to open / close the bottom shutter of an 8 foot ExploraDome). The top two platforms are comfortable to stand on for a period of time.

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

Don’t know if you can get these where you are but a small, Little Giant, ladder with the step platform would be lightweight and very comfortable to stand on. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics