•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Computer For Remote Observatory?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brownrb1

brownrb1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

I'm in the process of converting my ROR observatory to a remote setup. An option is to have a laptop in the observatory and connect with Teamview. The computer that I am considering to be in the observatory is an Asus Transformerbook-with windows 10, an Atomic x5 processor, with 4 gigs of ram and 128 gigs of storage. Would this processor be adequate needs?

Thanks 

Dick 

#2 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

Check out these Eagle computers from Primaluce: 

https://www.primaluc...hotography.html

edit: 

you can hook up a keyboard & monitor in your obs and remote in w/ teamviewer....  

Edited by TikiTom, 16 June 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#3 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas, United States

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

I think that laptop will be fine if you only plan to use it for capturing and observatory control.

Honestly, any decent computer from the last decade or so should work if you have one itching to be used. I have a few old laptops from ~2007 getting Windows 10 updates. Unfortunately, they're both bottlenecked by their harddisks, so I would make sure it has a solid state drive or install one yourself if you go this route.

Edited by AstroEthan, 16 June 2019 - 08:39 PM.

#4 sdufoer

sdufoer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bruges, Belgium

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:34 AM

A pc in a remote observatory MUST imho have a remote power switch option that you can trigger with a relay.  This way you can start up the pc remotely if issues occur.  I use a Shuttle pc with Dragonfly relay system.

#5 giorgio_ne

giorgio_ne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

+1 for a computer providing some sort of out-of-band management feature.

Edited by giorgio_ne, 23 June 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#6 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

I'm a big fan of used Dell Latitudes. You can pick these up cheap and add a cheap solid state drive. If you need lots of ports (including real serial), you can pick up docking stations cheap as well. If worried about reliability, buy a spare.

I've used one for around eight years locally (portable setup that is used just about every clear night for imaging) and I've had no issues with a couple in the New Mexico desert for 3-4 years. Our observatory does not have AC so it can get very hot. The original PC I used had issues once it hit around 113F (ports would start failing) but the laptop has no issues.

As AstroEthan mentions above, unless you plan on stacking data on this machine so you only need to transfer a few files, anything should work if it can handle the environment.

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics