•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polemaster dropping tons of frames with new laptop

accessories equipment
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

Hi All,

I have been using a PoleMaster with an Dell Atom based micro-laptop. No problems at all.

The problem was, the laptop was having problems keeping up with APT and PHD2 running and then trying to do anything else. So I ordered a Dell i3 with SSD.

I loaded all my software and APT and PHD2 'seem' to be working ok (in my basement since it is raining...again.

When I want to test PoleMaster the camera connects but it takes forever for the image to change. It seems like it is dropping most of the frames. It will sometimes make a run of several seconds with 'live view' speed but then goes back to updating a frame every few seconds.

I have swapped back and forth between the Atom and i3 and the Atom is fine but the i3 is bad every time.

The PoleMaster shows up in the Device Manager and shows no problems.

In theory the i3 should have faster everything.

I tried USB3 and USB2 ports. No difference

There is a difference in Windows versions:

Both Win 10 Home but 

Atom is Version 1709 build 16299.1087

i3 is Version 1809 build 17763.557

I tried uninstalling the Polemaster driver and software and reinstalling. No difference

Tried downloading the latest version from QHY again (same version as I was using). No difference.

I did note that the i3 Windows Defender Security section has more stuff. Particularly a 'Device Security' section. I made sure what little I could control was turned off (Core Isolation).

Loosing PoleMaster on the i3 isn't a deal breaker, but I'm afraid it might be the tip of the iceberg. (If it can't stream PoleMaster frames how long until I see dropped frames from the main imaging and/or guide cameras?)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

Let's route any ideas to the double-post of this thread in CCD/CMOS (which already has a response). Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics