•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PoleMaster dropping tons of frames with new laptop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:16 PM

Hi All,
I have been using a PoleMaster with an Dell Atom based micro-laptop. No problems at all.
The problem was, the laptop was having problems keeping up with APT and PHD2 running and then trying to do anything else. So I ordered a Dell i3 with SSD.

I loaded all my software and APT and PHD2 'seem' to be working ok (in my basement since it is raining...again.

When I want to test PoleMaster the camera connects but it takes forever for the image to change. It seems like it is dropping most of the frames. It will sometimes make a run of several seconds with 'live view' speed but then goes back to updating a frame every few seconds.
I have swapped back and forth between the Atom and i3 and the Atom is fine but the i3 is bad every time.

The PoleMaster shows up in the Device Manager and shows no problems.

In theory the i3 should have faster everything.
I tried USB3 and USB2 ports. No difference

There is a difference in Windows versions:
Both Win 10 Home but 
Atom is Version 1709 build 16299.1087
i3 is Version 1809 build 17763.557

I tried uninstalling the Polemaster driver and software and reinstalling. No difference
Tried downloading the latest version from QHY again (same version as I was using). No difference.

I did note that the i3 Windows Defender Security section has more stuff. Particularly a 'Device Security' section. I made sure what little I could control was turned off (Core Isolation).

Loosing PoleMaster on the i3 isn't a deal breaker, but I'm afraid it might be the tip of the iceberg. (If it can't stream PoleMaster frames how long until I see dropped frames from the main imaging and/or guide cameras?)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 gundark

gundark

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

Hi there. Something similar happened to me a while back, and I tracked the problem down to a bad USB cable. Have you tried replacing yours?

#3 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

Hi there. Something similar happened to me a while back, and I tracked the problem down to a bad USB cable. Have you tried replacing yours?

gundark,

I didn't think about the cable, since it worked on one laptop and not the other.

I tried a different cable and the problem is still there with the i3 frown.gif

Thanks for the thought though.

Roy

Edited by NuclearRoy, 16 June 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#4 chadrian84

chadrian84

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:25 PM

It’s a known problem with the polemaster and QHY has shown no interest in fixing it. The “fix” is to play a video in the background while using polemaster. Opening a youtube video works but I prefer to open stellarium which also works.
  • OldManSky likes this

#5 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:39 PM

Try SharpCap software. SharpCap can work with PoleMaster. If you don't see frame dropouts, then buy SharpCap "Pro" because it has an awesome polar alignment feature and I think it works better than QHY PoleMaster software. 

If the free version of SharpCap does not include connecting to PoleMaster then you may have to buy the "Pro" version of SharpCap. I think it costs around 10 British pounds or $15 but worth every penny. 

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/

So if SharpCap is able to work well with your PoleMaster then the culprit may be in QHY PoleMaster software. 

Peter 

Edited by Peter in Reno, 16 June 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#6 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:54 PM

chadrian84,
Well that's just sad.

I noticed that just opening the Google home page made a VAST improvement in the frame rate. (Maybe the animation?)

Odd that the Atom doesn't have the problem. Anyway...

Glad I went with ZWO for the imaging and guide cameras :)

Thanks for the quick response!

#7 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

Peter,
Pretty new here but, obviously, I've seen SharpCap kicked around a lot on CN.
I'll have a look at that.
Thanks,
Roy

#8 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

You may find that on some computers the PoleMaster will work better if you connect the camera to a hub rather than directly to the computer.

• 2ghouls likes this

#9 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

I’m drawn to this comment, “the laptop was having problems keeping up with APT and PHD2 running and then trying to do anything else.” What “else” were you trying to do? CCDAP strongly recommends that you don’t do anything else on the imaging computer while a session is going on. There are a ton of things happening in the background that you don’t see. If you need to do other things while your session is running, you should get a separate machine to handle those tasks. 

#10 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

You may find that on some computers the PoleMaster will work better if you connect the camera to a hub rather than directly to the computer.

Interesting. It looks like opening a browser window with the Google home page or a YouTube video has raised the frame rate to an acceptable level for PA.

If I have more issues, I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

#11 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Sounds like bad design software in QHY PoleMaster software. I suggest to try SharpCap software. It also sounds like PoleMaster software may not work well with latest Windows 10 version in your new laptop. 

Peter

• NuclearRoy likes this

#12 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

I’m drawn to this comment, “the laptop was having problems keeping up with APT and PHD2 running and then trying to do anything else.” What “else” were you trying to do? CCDAP strongly recommends that you don’t do anything else on the imaging computer while a session is going on. There are a ton of things happening in the background that you don’t see. If you need to do other things while your session is running, you should get a separate machine to handle those tasks. 

Charles,

This problem didn't really have anything to do with the PoleMaster issue, it is just what prompted getting the i3 laptop.

Originally I was having a long delay (over a minute) between 'Dithering Finished' (APT dithering) and 'Exposure Started' in the APT plan, with the Atom laptop. Turned out that was due to the extremely slow microSD bus. When I switched to writing to internal memory, the delay dropped to only a couple seconds. [I thought I had tested that and it didn't make any difference, but I stupidly changed the wrong file path in APT, but that is another thread :)]

Anyway, If I touched almost anything during the delay (switch to another open window, switching tabs in APT, etc) APT would crash, and that was before I started using PHD2.

There were no issues doing any of that stuff while the exposure was ongoing.

I thought there would be no chance of it handling the addition of PHD2, so when the Dell referb site had a 14" i3, 8G RAM, 256G SSD, 2xUSB3.1 and 1xUSB2 on sale for $375 I jumped on it.

So I agree that I shouldn't be running DSS, PI, or some intense program while imaging, certainly not on a lightweight laptop, the 'other stuff' was related to the imaging plan. Like going back and forth between APT and PHD2, which now works fine on the Atom after changing the write directory to internal memory.

So I probably didn't really need to upgrade the laptop, but it is easier to see :)

Thanks for the reply!

#13 Akwilliams

Akwilliams

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

I’ve been using polemaster since it came on the market, never seen this kind of behaviour with mine.   But, good to know should I experience problems then there is an easy solution 

#14 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

I installed a free version of SharpCap software in a different computer and was able to connect to PoleMaster hardware without issues. Make sure that you install PoleMaster low level driver but it may not be necessary to install high level PoleMaster software for PoleMaster hardware to work with SharpCap software. This is a good way to determine whether PoleMaster high level software (not PM low level driver) is a culprit with your new laptop and latest Windows 10 OS.

The free version of SharpCap does NOT include polar alignment feature. It will cost you $15 for SharpCap Pro to use polar alignment feature. I find polar alignment feature for SharpCap Pro to be much easier to use than PoleMaster software.

Peter

#15 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Peter!

I have been busy with life for a couple days, but I will give SharpCap a try. ($15 in this hobby is nothing. lol)

I thought the PA with PoleMaster was pretty easy, especially compared to using a PA scope, so SharpCap must be nearly automatic :)

Thanks again,

Roy

#16 numchuck

numchuck

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

I'm having similar problems with other QHY cameras . I had used a 183M with SharpCapPro for the last year . I then bought a 5III290 for guiding ; but ever since installing their downloads for the new camera , frames from the 183M are hanging . There must be some sort of conflict with the drivers or SDK or .DLL files . Last night out , I literally lost  2/3 of my imaging time . I will try opening my browser to run in the background to see if that works -- I would never have thought of that .

• NuclearRoy likes this

#17 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

numchuck,

Wow, 2/3 of your time lost. That stinks.

It's probably not quite as precious as here in western PA this spring, but still a huge bummer.

Hope the 'distractor' animation/video works for you.

#18 Phil HD9.25

Phil HD9.25

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:26 AM

Try disabling 'USB selective suspend' in windows power settings (advanced).  I had a similar issue of dropped frames with my polemaster, and this solved it. 

#19 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Phil.

I will check on that setting. Even if that isn't causing my issue, I can see no reason I would ever want that to engage during an imaging session.

Roy

#20 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

I then bought a 5III290 for guiding ; but ever since installing their downloads for the new camera , frames from the 183M are hanging . 

I bought the QHY5III174M  and it causes no end of havoc with my USB system.  If it is on the hub with my main cameras, focuser, scope, etc. then after a short time ALL USB traffic fails.   USB2 or USB3 hub, doesn't matter. Powered hub, or hub in my ASI071MC, doesn't matter.

The only way I can use the QHY5III174M camera is if it has its own dedicated cable to my laptop. QHY suggested changing the cable. Well duh, of course I tried that.

I am getting an ASI174MM Mini this weekend.  Nothing is more frustrating than losing time and fiddling with USB cables at -15°C. 

In other news: the QHY5III174M is for sale! I can verify the anodizing is a beautiful color tongue2.gif  It is very sensitive - when guiding I can see faint DSOs in the image in PHD2.  And it has a great frame rate when doing pics of the moon.  It is probably just my setup, but OOF!!!

Edited by t-ara-fan, 20 June 2019 - 01:53 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics