•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Counterweight doesn't fit!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

So I had an extra 17# CGX counterweight in a box that I tried using last week... the bore hole is too small to allow the counterweight shaft... so I can't get it to fit... anyone have any ideas ? I am not very DYI... don't have any high end tools... I tried a power drill and shaved a few flakes off the bore hole, but it seems I need to do a lot more... any other ideas are appreciated...

Al

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

If it is a Celestron product I would expect you could exchange it, even if out of warranty. Best not to try to fix a defective product.
  • Michael Covington likes this

#3 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

If it is a Celestron product I would expect you could exchange it, even if out of warranty. Best not to try to fix a defective product.

Right.  What I didn't catch at first was that it was actually made for the mount he was trying to put it on.

I'll delete my other reply suggesting getting help from a local machine shop or mechanic.  That's what I would do if the weight were OK but made for a different mount.

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:59 PM

CGX uses Losmandy hole size CW, 1.25". Probably a CGEM/CGEM II weight which is around .8" hole size.

Edited by photoracer18, 17 June 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#5 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

CGX uses Losmandy hole size CW, 1.25". Probably a CGEM/CGEM II weight which is around .8" hole size.

No this is normal CGX, not the "L". I have a CGEM as well and all my counterweights are interchangeable except for this one.

I am not too keen on sending it back to Celestron would probably cost me $30 in shipping costs.

I was thinking of using a basic cordless drill and using a larger drill bit and just "shaving it down". ??!? Any other ideas?

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

How far off is the hole size?  It's worth asking Celestron -- this may be a known problem.

If they know they had a bad run of them, they might conceivably give you a new one and not want the old one back.  

Edited by Michael Covington, 17 June 2019 - 10:54 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics