•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mixing various data from the same target

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cuivienor

cuivienor

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:28 PM

So I have some wide-field narrowband OSC data (OPT Triad Ultra Filter, ASI071MC Pro, 300mm f2.8 lens) and some narrow field narrowband data (Astrodon SHO filters, ASI1600MM-C, EdgeHD 800 at 140mm f7) on the Crescent Nebula.

I'm also kind of thinking about using a 183MM Pro I will soon have (in exchange for my 294MC Pro - long story), and using it with a 200mm f2.8 lens with HA and OIII filters to be dual mounted with the 071MC Pro imaging train above, providing almost the same FOV.

So the question is, how would you guys merge all of these data together using PixInsight?

I'm thinking about:

- Calibrating all frames

- using a batch procedure to split all of the individual OSC frames into their RGB Components

- registering and integrating (R, HA, SII), (G, OIII), (B, OIII) using adaptive smoothing (does that even work? would frames from such a wide and tight FOV on the same object work)?

- Merging back together the new integrated R, G, and B channels

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Yannick

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like a good plan, just remember that you'll be limited to a "final mix" of whatever your smallest field of view is...but you probably already took that into account!

I've successfully used narrowband data from my 183MM Pro mixed with DSLR color data, limited to the 183MM FOV of course.  Splitting out the RGB channels from the OSC source is the way to go, IMHO.

Good luck.  Show us what you come up with.

#3 View2

View2

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

Following with interest. Many ways to do this. Here is where the science becomes art!

#4 View2

View2

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

BTW, for integrations I bailed on PI and use APP, then off to PI for linear work.. Huge time saver, handles this part quickly and cleanly for anything and excels at mosaics,

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

Astro Pixel Processor should handle this easily, and it can even blend the images together smoothly if you want one large non cropped image. Of course you can also crop it down to the smallest image.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics