•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron skytracker pro + Orion St80?

astrophotography beginner imaging mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

Hey guys,  right now I am seriously considering to buy the IOptron Skytracker pro for Astro imaging with my ST80 as a hobby in my long, long summer holiday.

Question is, would it even be possible for Skytracker to handle its weight?

Would there be any limitations I would encounter like very short exposure lengths when using this setup?

Also, I live very near the equator (Jakarta, Indonesia) will using the star drift method be too much of a hassle for me?

I'm very excited to actually start astro imaging once and for all!

#2 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

While the tube itself is a big part of the weight load, you'd need to factor in a lot of accessories as well as the camera. DSLR/webcam, finderscope, extension tubes, counterweight, etc. I think it's usually paired with smaller APOs. What kind of equipment are you going to use for imaging?

If you have a good camera you can use lenses with DSLRs without needing an OTA.

Since you live near the equator the southern celestial pole would be low. Jakarta is really hot and humid so I imagine lots of turbulence compromising good seeing. I imagine it's possible, however, I wonder if rough alignment would just suffice. I've read reports of successful rough alignment on other mounts such as the Star adventurer

#3 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

I do have a Nikon d3400 but i only have the 18-55mm lens so that is definitely not enough for astro-imaging, and the camera body is what i am primarily going to use for the first year or so. Would you think this would be too much of a stress for the skytracker?

Edited by Naraya, 17 June 2019 - 11:33 PM.

#4 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

The standard 18-55 kit lens is not optimum but it still can be used for imaging (utilizing the shorter length for wide field shots).

Prime focus lens are sharper but just pushing the edge a bit.

But of course for zoomed in shots it won't be anywhere enough.

I don't think it would cause stress, the ST80 is compact so it's quite solid. Nikon d3400 is not that heavy, people has been using full-frame DSLRs for astrophotography by mounting it on scope.

#5 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

The standard 18-55 kit lens is not optimum but it still can be used for imaging (utilizing the shorter length for wide field shots).

Prime focus lens are sharper but just pushing the edge a bit.

But of course for zoomed in shots it won't be anywhere enough.

I don't think it would cause stress, the ST80 is compact so it's quite solid. Nikon d3400 is not that heavy, people has been using full-frame DSLRs for astrophotography by mounting it on scope.

That's great to hearsmile.gif anything else i should worry or consider about?

#6 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

The wedge and tripod must be solid. Some people replace their ioptron wedge, and some said it's rather fiddly to use. It happens between the Star adventurer and ioptron, so I reckon it also depends on each.

As long as you got the polar alignment right, it will do the job.

for mounting dslr you'd need an L-bracket. Since th e camera isn't that heavy I don't think you'll need counterweight. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, imaging, mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics