•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M51 the hard way.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:14 PM

Comedy of errors at the first dark site for the new scope. The club had its monthly high star party on the first and I brought my new setup. I’d never been to this site so the first thing I do wrong is set the TriPier up so far off I could not polar align. The scope is a Stellarvue 130T with a Access 80mm piggybacked on a CEM60 not something to just slide over into alignment and still be level. I’m not sure how I got it so far off…maybe a piece of magnetic metal near the compass.

I did a little visual for an hour thinking I won’t image tonight, checked a few views through some of the big Dob’s brought up an then the itch to image got too overwhelming at about 12:30am.

So I pulled the setup down (in the dark), corrected the pier alignment… leveled  and remounted the CEM60 and scopes. Polemastered it (gotta love that little toy), focused and sampled a couple of fast images of M51 and  hit PHD and started imaging...

PHD would not settle and lock in…

An hour later I gave up on PHD and guiding and set the imaging for 60 sec. at  a ISO of 1600 so I could capture unguided.  Like I said, gotta love PoleMaster.  I got about 100 images before the dawn light started. Lost 25 of those to spongy ground  and  5 to planes , satellites ect.

Did my darks and bias but only got  ten flats  because the  laptop battery died and I didn’t bring the backup.

(Later realized I had not plugged the guider into a powered port that was why the guider and PHD were not working .  So stupid, I should have figured that out.)

All and all …not a bad night….bombdrop.gif

Stellarvue SVA130T
70 x  60sec
ISO 1600
DSLR T3i Modified
PixInsight and Gimp

CEM60

Unguided

SGM 20.63

Attached Thumbnails

• m51gimprs.jpg

Edited by scadvice, 17 June 2019 - 11:40 PM.

• zjc26138, PeteM, elmiko and 8 others like this

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:28 PM

And...with a 'very-familiar-to-all-astronomers-comedy-of-errors' you produce a beautiful image!

Got some banding issues, I think. Did you dither? Try CosmeticCorrection?

Still, nice image considering all you went through. You get the 'Tenacity Trophy' for today!

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

unguided - couldn't dither. Well I didn't think I could...I'll have to check the manual...

I'll try CosmeticCorrection Thanks for the tip.

Edited by scadvice, 18 June 2019 - 12:00 AM.

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

Not bad at all for unguided! I think you raised the black point too much and got rid of some nebulosity along the way. 

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:17 AM

With enough subs you don't need to toss images with satellites and planes. Just let the rejection algorithm remove the offending trails.
  • elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics