•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anybody flown by airplane with FSQ-106 ?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aleksandr Naumov

Aleksandr Naumov

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Hello!

I'm planning to observe TSE 2019 July 2 and getting ready to flight.

My dream is to make photos of corona with Tak FSQ-106N.

Now I'm concerned how to transport it.

One of options is to pack it inside cabin / hand luggage;

however I will pay extra money for overweight.

Other option is to pack it into Pelican 1600 and transport as registered baggage -

but I'm worry about optics. Probably somebody of airport staff could throw or broke it?

Has anybody flown with such an expensive optics?

What could you recommend?

Thank you

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

I think the general wisdom is to take the scope on the plane with you. If it costs a few dollars more to carry it on board, so what!

If you put it with the regular luggage you risk loosing your telescope and all the money you paid for the trip. Not good, and for what? To save a few dollars!

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 18 June 2019 - 08:41 AM.

• th3r3ds0x, Aleksandr Naumov, bobzeq25 and 2 others like this

#3 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Don't check it in for sure. I had an FSQ85 and AP130GT flown. Both went in the cabin. The extra cost is entirely worth it. The only thing I check in is my mount and tripod, which ended up having a tear on the bag.
  • Aleksandr Naumov likes this

#4 Chriss

Chriss

Lift Off

• Loc: CA, TX, CO - depending on season

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:41 PM

I've taken my FSQ-106n with me a few times, I always carried it on the plane, the FSQ in it's Takahashi soft case and a Tamarac roller camera bag, holding my laptop, sBig camera, cables and a few adapters. The plate/ring mount were in a checked Pelican case. I was lucky and did not have to pay extra to go onboard with two carry on bags, flight wasn't quite full, it was on American Airlines.

I would normally ship via 2nd day air FedEx beforehand if possible on the mount, but that time it was a last minute trip.

You mileage may vary, call your airline in advance to be sure you can, otherwise if possible FedEx them to your hotel in advance.

• Raginar and PirateMike like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics