•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters on Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Starlease

Starlease

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rocky mountains.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

Used my 10" f/4.6 Hubble mirrored dob. A 5mm Delite for 234x was the most power that could be applied. Visually with no filter could see 2 small white ovals in dark belt above the GRS belt, but no red spots were seen.

Started with my favorite filter the TeleVue planetary. Made the dark belts stand out more but the white ovals were harder to discern. This one blocks a lot of light. Not recommended for scopes under 6".

Next the Baader Moon and Skyglow that works so well on Mars. Everything looked almost as well as with no filter, very little dimming, could barely see the white ovals.

Then tried the light blues 82A&B. The lighter tint A was the best but no white ovals seen. Regular color filters are kind of lame.

Last was the Burgess Planet 30/60 Purple filter, looks like a neutral density filter.  Did not dim Jupiter as much as the TV Planet. The white ovals stood out the most with this filter.  Looks to be the best Jupiter filter I've ever used.

• epee, Vondragonnoggin and rkelley8493 like this

#2 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the comparisons.  I've been thinking of trying some different filters on Jupiter.

#3 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Used my 10" f/4.6 Hubble mirrored dob. A 5mm Delite for 234x was the most power that could be applied. Visually with no filter could see 2 small white ovals in dark belt above the GRS belt, but no red spots were seen.

Started with my favorite filter the TeleVue planetary. Made the dark belts stand out more but the white ovals were harder to discern. This one blocks a lot of light. Not recommended for scopes under 6".

Next the Baader Moon and Skyglow that works so well on Mars. Everything looked almost as well as with no filter, very little dimming, could barely see the white ovals.

Then tried the light blues 82A&B. The lighter tint A was the best but no white ovals seen. Regular color filters are kind of lame.

Last was the Burgess Planet 30/60 Purple filter, looks like a neutral density filter.  Did not dim Jupiter as much as the TV Planet. The white ovals stood out the most with this filter.  Looks to be the best Jupiter filter I've ever used.

Interesting.  I'm still fairly new to this hobby so I'd never heard of the Televue Planetary nor the Burgess.  Looks like these have been discontinued.

I am a fan of the Baader Moon & Skyglow.  I also use a light blue on Jupiter (the Baader 470nm bandpass) when the seeing is not so good.

#4 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

I use the Baader and or an 80A for Jupiter. The Baader M&SG seems to darken the sky just a little bit in my C102 AR scope. Or maybe is increases the contrast a littel?

• SabiaJD likes this

#5 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

I tried the Baader UHC filter on Jupiter the other night. It gave a hideous color to Jupiter, about like adjusting the tint too much on a television. Jupiter was purple, green, and pink.

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:09 AM

I've tried all sorts of filters on Jupiter, you never know what you'll see. Dobsonian.gif

#7 barbie

barbie

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

I've had best results with a light yellow filter but only when the seeing supports the use of filtration.

#8 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:52 PM

Best filter for me is the baader moon and skyglow. It really enhances the bands and grs without changing the color drastically. To me it looks like red and orange seem more red and orange with the filter.
  • Miranda2525 likes this

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

I usually try several different color filters when observing Jupiter as well as studying the unfiltered view.  I use the Wratten #11 (lt. yellow-green), W21 (orange), W80A (lt. blue), and W56 (green).  I plan to start using the W30 (magenta) too--I just got one last fall.

Here is a good article on the use of filters by Jeff Beish:

http://alpo-astronom...es/FILTERS1.HTM

• SabiaJD likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics