•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Berlebach Planet mounting plate replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

Is it possible to replace the mounting plate/base at the top of the Berlebach Planet tripods so you don't have to buy a whole new tri-pod if you change mount manufacturers? And if so where can you purchase the mounting plate only?

The reason I ask is there is a used BP tripod with the CGEM mounting plate for sale, but I do not want to use it for a CGEM. I am wondering if I could remove the CGEM plate and purchase a plate to match an iOptron mount I am also considering purchasing. I have done a google search but have yet to find what I am looking for unless it is purchased with the tripod.  

Any help would be appreciate!

Doug

Edited by dapalmer, 18 June 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#2 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Have you asked directly from Berlebach (info@berlebach.de)? They are quite responsive and reply also in English in case your German has gotten a bit rusty...

If they happen to make the top plate for your mount head, it can be exchanged.
  • dapalmer likes this

#3 Mattimac

Mattimac

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Stars at Night - are Big and Bright - Deep in the Heart of Texas

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

When I asked Berlebach a similar question about modifying the mounting plate of my Planet to accomodate an AP mount, they offered 3 options:

• drill and tap my own holes according to a schematic they supplied,
  • send the top plate back to them for modification,
  • or they would sell me a new top plate. 

So I'd follow Axunator's advice and contact them directly.  I've found their service to be excellent.

• dapalmer likes this

#4 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Have you asked directly from Berlebach (info@berlebach.de)? They are quite responsive and reply also in English in case your German has gotten a bit rusty...

If they happen to make the top plate for your mount head, it can be exchanged.

Actually no, I have not tried asking them directly. Thanks for the obvious solution and address.

#5 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Hm, they state that you can change top plates 'easily' on Uni tripods, but there is literally nothing online about how to do that exactly and what is the procedure. 

Good luck with the Planet and please do post how it unfolded.

#6 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

When I bought a used Planet awhile ago it had a Berlebach CGE adapter on it. I just unscrewed it and installed a Berlebach Losmandy adapter. This how they work for the most part unless it is one of the heads that the top plate is part of the mount adapter. I'd you need an adapter you can just order them from the Starguy if he has what you want in stock but it really is only a week and a half from Germany to your door.

• dapalmer likes this

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:47 PM

You can buy the head alone see https://www.teleskop...ucts_id=1215#cs
  • dapalmer and ssantia like this

#8 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

Thanks guys! The teleskop-express site was the only one I found that had the had the adapters actually listed (thanks to luxo II). I hadn't bothered to contact the sales people for the individual components since they hadn't listed them. Live and learn.

Bottom line, the cost savings for buying the used tripod and adding my adapter is not worth it to me at the asking price. I would rather just pay full price and have a new unit. I will need to either negotiate a lower price on the used tripod or move on.

Your help is greatly appeciated! 

#9 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Thanks guys! The teleskop-express site was the only one I found that had the had the adapters actually listed (thanks to luxo II). I hadn't bothered to contact the sales people for the individual components since they hadn't listed them. Live and learn.

Bottom line, the cost savings for buying the used tripod and adding my adapter is not worth it to me at the asking price. I would rather just pay full price and have a new unit. I will need to either negotiate a lower price on the used tripod or move on.

Your help is greatly appeciated! 

The Berlebach Planet mount adapters are listed on their website on the Planet page. You have to use the drop down menu and scroll down. Each adapter will has a price listed but many will be no charge because they use a flat base which requires a few holes drilled and tapped to work. Most of the iOptron iEQ & CEM mounts are similar and free. If the iOptron mount in question is most anything other than a CEM120 chances are you can just unscrew the adapter on top and then just drill and tap a few holes and ad a cap screw to act as an AZ post. You may need to buy some all-thread rod and a few knobs and jam nuts depends on the previous mount. This is easy stuff to do even for the minimally mechanically inclined. If the Planet is $600-$700 and you can remove the adapter and sell it that will pay for the new stainless steel hardware bits and taps you need.

Which iOptron mount are you looking at? 

• dapalmer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics