•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pennyrile Stargaze, Dawson Springs, KY - 9/28 to 10/6

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

If you are looking for a nice, small star party to attend check out the Pennyrile Stargaze at Pennyrile State Park near Dawson Springs , KY. This is an informal star party with no attendance fee. It is held in the state park about 2 miles from the State Park campground. This particular Star Party is in it's 5th year. Nice camping available for tents or motor homes on site at the star observing location. You can use the state campground showers for a small fee or stay at the campground lodge if you prefer not to camp. The State park rents lodge rooms, cabins and has a nice restaurant. There is also a golf course in the park.

Being held September 28th thru October 6th.

There is a Facebook page under Pennyrile Stargaze that has some limited information and pictures of past star parties.

Edited by John R, 18 June 2019 - 03:15 PM.

• 39.1N84.5W, KidOrion, GoFish and 1 other like this

#2 lwbehney

lwbehney

Lift Off

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hello John,

Thanks for posting this.  I have several questions, which I hope you could answer for me and any other readers of this topic:  Is there an open field away from lights where the telescopes are set up? Is there electric power for the telescopes? Do they have astronomical gear swap meets at this gathering? How many people usually attend?

Can you please tell me if there is nearby parking on the field for RV's? 

Does one need special permission to be inside the park after dark?

I have some family who might be interested in attending and this is why I am asking so many questions about this star gaze party.

Larry

#3 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

I am interested in going to this as well. Can I park near the observing field and sleep in the back of my Ford Expedition SUV? Can we use bicycles to ride around in the park and how far is the observing field from the showers and the lodge? And ditto on Larry's electricity question. I can go deep cycle marine battery if needed but prefer to have AC power within reach.

Do you register someplace or notify anybody if you are coming?

Thanks!

John

#4 Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Schererville Indiana

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

I've been to this when it was called Twin Lakes...nice gathering and the price is right. I met a few of the people at the Indiana Family Star Party. 

#5 lwbehney

lwbehney

Lift Off

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for posting this notice. I live in Indiana and if weather permits, think this would be close enough by that I would like to attend. I went to Pennyrile one time for the solar eclipse. It is a nice, but remote venue. For those who have been here for the prior Star Gaze parties, about how many people attend and what kind of instruments do they bring with them?

Thanks very much.

Larry

#6 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:51 AM

Sorry I have not checked this recently but hope the following answers the questions above:

The field for telescopes and camping is away from lights. You can camp right next to your scope. The field can handle up to about 50 campers with scopes.

Some people tent camp and some have RVs. Some stay at the lodge.

There is electricity for charging batteries in the Park maintenance shed but none on the field.

No swap meet but sometimes people do have things to sell.

We have had anywhere from a low of about 10 people to as many as 30 show up during the week.

No special permission needed. We have this gathering with the support of the park.

We have had all types of scopes show up. The biggest reflector has been 24".

You can bicycle in the park and the showers and lodge are about 1.5 to 2 miles from the observing area.

This is a low key party so no advance reservation needed. If you think you are coming we would like to know to make sure we have enough Porta potties.

A few of the regulars are from Indianapolis and belong to the Indiana Astronomical Group.

If I missed anything let me know.

#7 Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

I was at the Pennyrile Forest website. Will there be a customary daily camping fee?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#8 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Vostok 1

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

How is the observing area for problems with dew?  Are there any serious light domes?

Tim

#9 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

No serious light domes. Nearest city is about 30 miles to the south. 

There can be issues with dew. 

There is no camping fee if you camp on the observation field. There is a fee if you stay at the park campground but that is about 1.5 miles away from the star party. 

The observation site is at the Park maintenance area which is about 2 miles south of the Park lodge. 

Edited by John R, 07 September 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#10 Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

The observation site is at the Park maintenance area which is about 2 miles south of the Park lodge. 

That's what I wanted to know! I think I see it on Google Maps..

#11 Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:17 PM

Certainly looks like it will be unseasonably HOT for the first 5 days?!

#12 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

Hot but no rain for most of the week.

#13 John R

John R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

Well another Pennyrile Star Gaze has come and gone and this one was pretty nice. Observing was possible every night of the star gaze. Although the temperatures were hot most days had a nice breeze and with the low humidity it was tolerable. What was really nice was the State Park kept their beach open longer than normal due to the high temps. As a result several of us went swimming several days during the event. There were approximately 15 to 20 people that showed up during the week with several camping on the grounds, some staying at the lodge, and some locals driving in to observe at night.

The plans are to repeat the event again next year. Dates are not yet set but will most likely be in October.

• KidOrion, JNDiller and Paul Morow like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics