•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Budget Eyepiece Collection gets a free one (kinda)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ww321q

ww321q

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winton Ca.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:34 PM

I received a package from PA friend that I worked with at the hospital several years back.This is a couple months ago. No not an eyepiece, a broken latch for a convertible top on a sports car. He thought I could possibly fix it for him because there are no new ones and good used ones are as rare as hens teeth. I did the job for free and fun for me. Anyway he sent me a Amazon gift card. I was trying to come up with something to blow it on then it popped in my head "I've never looked through a plossl eyepiece! So I looked around and used Starman1 2019 Eyepiece Buyer's Guide. I looked at the specs and decided on a Vixen NPL 6mm . I thought " 3mm of eye relief , that should be fun". I tested it out just now on some trees and stuff real quick. It was easier to look through than some of my other eyepieces. I'll give it a good look tonight at Jupiter, moon and Saturn. By the way that was fun last night looking at those 3 and only had to scooch the chair over a little to do so. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen npl 6mma.jpg

• jeremiah2229 and Astroman007 like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

Free is always nice. :)

Enjoy your new eyepiece! Plossls, while not too pricey or complicated, aren't bad at all.

• Jaimo! and ww321q like this

#3 ww321q

ww321q

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

I've got to use it a couple times in not so great conditions so the jury is still out on whether or not it works great with my telescope and eye. One thing for sure I have to keep a Q-tip handy. Both times I used it my eyelashes transferred moisture to the lens. Seems when I first start a viewing session my eyes get teary but dry back to normal after a while. I'm still waiting for good air to see Saturn and Jupiter with this one.    
Oh also there are no blackouts or kidney beaning at all. Zero ! Thats good :)

Edited by ww321q, 20 June 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

Vixen says 3mm of eye relief, but I think it's actually a roomy 4.2mm.

Now, you should try one of the old 4mm Plössls that used to be found in the '80s.  2.8mm of eye relief!

That's close to the same, maybe a little less, than the distance between the cornea and pupil in the average eye.

I've often referred to such eyepieces as "corneal implant" types.

It makes 10mm seem like "long eye relief".lol.gif

• tony_spina, GeneT, Frisky and 1 other like this

#5 ww321q

ww321q

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

Vixen says 3mm of eye relief, but I think it's actually a roomy 4.2mm.

Now, you should try one of the old 4mm Plössls that used to be found in the '80s.  2.8mm of eye relief!

That's close to the same, maybe a little less, than the distance between the cornea and pupil in the average eye.

I've often referred to such eyepieces as "corneal implant" types.

It makes 10mm seem like "long eye relief".lol.gif

I found that you can pull back a little . You won't see the full field of view but it's easier to look through

#6 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:28 PM

Everyone is different about eye relief.  I don't require a lot, but I don't like sub 12mm plossls, generally, due to the eye relief.  Ironically, I find the eye relief of the 6mm Baader Classic Ortho, no doubt largely due to its volcano top design, acceptable, at least within a 4 hour observing time window.  Outside that window, I might not feel the same way about it, to be honest, since exhaustion takes its toll on eye relief tolerance in my experience.  I doubt I'd like the 6mm BCO at dawn to catch a planet, e.g., after observing all night at a star party, but for the first four hours of observing (which is about all I'll spend at 99% of my astronomy outings these days), I find the BCO crystal clear, and actually not a problem, eye relief-wise.

Also, 6mm is a "magic spot" to me for eyepieces.  There seems to be something Goldilocks just right about 6mm eyepieces.  They're high powered enough to deliver excellent resolution for double stars, planetary detail, etc., but don't employ the typical magnification that produce bloated stars, fuzzier details -- in short, overpowering the resolution a person can get out of the sky so common with 5mm and below eyepieces.  6mm is the typically the best power a person can get out of the typical sky, not to say that occassionally things don't really open up, and allow for 5mm and below eyepiece use to good effect, this does happen, but much, much more rarely.  Of course, I live in the middle of continental North America, in the high altitude plains with the Rocky Mountains to the west to essentially channel the jet stream down, barreling through the continent like a mighty river, and producing a lot of upper atmospheric turbulence.  We have dark skies here often, and it doesn't typically rain a lot (this year an unfortunate exception, so far).  Others' experiences might be different, but from what I read here on CN, my conditions seem duplicated often over most of the continental USA.  I realize Florida and California are exceptional in this department, but if one doesn't happen to live in those two crazy places (to me, anyway) then you're conditions are probably closer to mine than you'd prefer.  But a man's gotta observe with what a man's gotta observe.  Very little traffic, less pollution, and at a kilometer above sea level, no worries about global warming making large sections of my part of the state part of the ocean.

Good luck, ww321q, and if you decide to try a little nicer 6mm than a plossl, the BCO won't break the bank.

#7 ww321q

ww321q

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

I've got to use this one some more and I'm not real impressed. The eye relief is ok , I can deal with that . I keep a Q-tip handy when using it. The FOV is ok too. Maybe I'll come around to liking it. I know my TV Nagler 4.8mm and Vixen SSW 5mm weren't very high on my list of favorites but the more I use them the more they seem ok.  

• CollinofAlabama likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics