•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coronado Double Stack Instructions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OverlordvI

OverlordvI

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

Greetings everyone,

First post here. After 20 years, I finally accomplished a lifelong goal - I bought a solar telescope. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have bought the Coronado solarmax III double stack...

I read the very poorly written handbook and also read through many of the forum posts here. I can't seem to figure out how to operate the scope!

Here is what I have done so far:

- Both etalons are flat

- I've rotated the outer ring all the way in and all the way out 

- I've changed the focus from all the way in to all the way out, and also pulled out the entire mirror diagonal 

The problem:

- Can't focus any part of the sun - can't even get it in the eyepiece (tried all three) with any sort of reliability. I have to keep looking inside the eyepiece funny to try to get any red halo visible.

I am seeing a red blob. Not multiple blobs as if one of the mirrors was damaged - just one blob. Focusing does seem to clear up the image, but I never see the sharp edge of the sun as others recommend doing first.

What am I doing wrong? This is a brand new scope!

- Bear

• germana1 and BeltofOrion like this

#2 jwestervelt

jwestervelt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:40 PM

Unfortunately, there is a rather severe lack of focus targets on the sun right now due to a lack of spots and filaments, so focusing might be a challenge.

Try tuning in single-stacked mode first.  This would rule out an issue with the remaining etalon, while making tuning a lot easier.  Removing the double-stacked filter will also rule out the possibility that you are looking at a ghost reflection.  Additionally, it might make proms show up better, which will give you a better focusing target.  The limb can sometimes appear fuzzy because it tends to be doubled in appearance if the photosphere isn't completely blocked. Even without filaments and active regions, you should still be able to make out some surface granulation with that scope if it is tuned correctly.

#3 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

Focus on the limb of the sun.

#4 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

I bought my Coronado 90 III  DS  on the last day of the sale at 17% off plus a 2.5% Cloudy Nights discount.  I think  one of the reasons Coronado and Lunt are having sales now is the solar minimum.  I decided to buy now hoping the scope would show me more now on small features than my single tilt etalon Lunt 60  with the real payoff when the Sun perks up. There were some nice proms the first day I got the scope and a couple of others  since but right now the Sun is giving it's impression of the Immaculate Sphere. For my scope so far best views are with both etalons an richview tuner in the start position. David

Edited by dscarpa, 19 June 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#5 OverlordvI

OverlordvI

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

Great - I appreciate the responses. I'm looking forward to the next sunny day here... hopefully it comes sometime this year.

#6 OverlordvI

OverlordvI

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

I'm quite sad to report that after trying to view the sun for a couple of hours yesterday, I'm ready to return my Coronado. I'm sorely disappointed.

I followed all the instructions here and also what I found online with YouTube. I can't focus on the sun at all - let alone clearly see anything in the lens. The only way I can see anything remotely red is when I look into the lens at a sharp angle. No amount of focusing makes a difference. Nothing I do with the etalons or outer rings makes a difference.

#7 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

Have you talked to the vendor you bought it from? I'd try having them walk you through it but it sounds like you have something wrong with the scope. Have you tried the scope with one etalon?  The first day i had my 90 couldn't get it working in DS mode but I was trying to focus on a reflection not the main image and the scope was fine. What size scope is it? Someone here had to return a  70 because one of the etalons was out of alignment.  The second scope they got was fine. My 90 was double boxed  and well padded but solar scopes are more delicate. David

Edited by dscarpa, 25 June 2019 - 03:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics