•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The other kind

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Danoglide63

Danoglide63

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

Hello everybody,

In the last few weeks I've asked a lot of questions here and got a lot of great answers. First came refactors, then reflectors and now I'm checking out the Maks. I have a Celestron 6SE with 6.3 focal red. a ZWOASI224MC and a Sony A6000. I am into AP but not hardcore, spend 5 hours taking 7000 images total and three days stacking and editing. I'm content doing "Live stack" on Sharpcap pro or long single exposures with the Sony. I got my Celestron AVX mount three days ago and have been getting to spend some hours with the 6SE attached.

Now comes the Mak, quite an impressive design, unlike the refactor it doesn't need a flattner $$$ nor like the Newtonian it doesn't need the coma corrector $$$$$. Does it need a 6.3 focal red.? I have one of those! The high f/numbers scares me but is it worth it? I do have a guide scope. Is the Mak a good/bad choice for DSO's?

If you have a Mak please tell me what you like/dislike about it.

Thanks,

Dano

#2 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

I bought a 6" Skywatcher Mak. 

What I liked:

- Great sharp images on Planets & double stars

What I didn't like

-  Dim images of DSO's (exit pupil too small)

- long cool down time

The Killer (for me)

- Too heavy to run comfortably on my 6/8SE mount , though it did work just fine on my CG5 (an older version of your AVX).

But I'm not really a GEM guy - I don't like the gymnastics you need to go through to use them.

So I sold my Mak and bought Dobs (and a 5" refractor for planetary & double stars)

As for AP - I don't do that, but my concern would be that even with a focal reducer (my mak had flare when I used a focal reducer

Sirius with Reflection.jpeg

; but that can be fixed reducing reflections in the secondary baffle apparently) the focal ratio would be high, meaning long exposures, meaning high demand on your Mount and I don't know if an AVX could do that.

Edited by Taosmath, 18 June 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

Did you intend to post this in "Cats & Casses" rather than "Reflectors" where it is now?  I believe you would get more input in Cats & Casses.

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:54 AM

Reflectix takes care of cool down pretty well. Yes small exit pupil, but that can be advantageous in town for darkening the background sky. They are fun little scopes. Mine is kind of my suburban lunar/planetary scope. Sure I look at DSO too. I look at far more DSO than planets. It’s a numbers game, and if I get it out, I might as well see all there is to see with it. But if the moon and planets are not out, I have other scopes I tend to get out. So yes they can absolutely do DSO. But their strength is more planetary. If you aren’t looking at the Moon and planets with it, you aren’t using it right.

Oh and yeah, the Moon was kind of a mess when I used the reducer. Lots of glare, reflections or whatever.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 19 June 2019 - 12:56 AM.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:40 AM

Reading Vlad's pages on Mak-glasses and off-axis aberrations, the picture does not seem quite as rosy as you make it seem.

https://www.telescop...CT_off_axis.htm

Jon

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

Didn’t seem like anyone was painting a particularly rosy picture for using Mak for DSO, but good info.

Scott

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:56 PM

I liked my SW150 Mak. Very sharp and could do 600x easy on the moon and doubles.  Just has a narrow fov as it is not a wide field scope. Other than that i liked it a lot since i only do planets and moon anyways most of the time.

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:46 PM

Nice, 420x seems a bit much for my 6” Mak. It can push 300x well enough, so good up to its rated useful magnification anyway.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics