•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help Packing late 1950's Selsi 80mm in its box for shipping

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

Okay so I need help packing this Selsi in its original box. It had been assembled forever and was purchased on Craigs for New Haven. 

As you may recall I offered to go to New Haven and buy it for a member here   and it is time to ship it...

Chip had suggested a way to get the OTA out of the mount   thanks    

I am unclear about where the legs go inverted?

Chip said:

Barry

No, the whole end is actually the cell, and it all unscrews. Here is a photo of the box for mine, so you can see how it goes together. The only part I'm missing is the hexagonal spacer that goes in the slot toward the left, and holds the tripod legs in place. This is the box style where you invert the legs over the mount and slide the OTA as far forward as possible in the saddle. Obviously, the spreader for yours isn't original. Mine is just a triangular piece of finished plywood with 1" holes drilled in it (and it may not be original either).

Chip W.

Chip sent a pic

see his organized box

then see the pic of the Selsi  and then the pic of the box here in Connecticurt

Attached Thumbnails

• Selsiboxchippost-261492-0-34454100-1559419128.jpg
  • Selsi9IMG_2552 (1).jpg
  • Selsi8IMG_2548.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 18 June 2019 - 07:49 PM.

• jcruse64 and Van Do9:3 like this

#2 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

and now I have the chart in the box  but it does not locate the legs or tube

the pics show what we have   and the chart locates stuff  some of which like the lenses were not found by the seller.....  While I now know how thew counter weight is secured in the box  I am up in the air on shipping it in the box

Attached Thumbnails

• Selsi for my diagramIMG_2709.jpg
  • SelsiforMyboxIMG_2710 (1).jpg
  • SelsiforMY pic4IMG_2711.jpg
  • SelsiforMypic3IMG_2712.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 18 June 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#3 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

Additionally,    the triangle eyepiece holder spreader  is missing and a round one was there but because of  a lip it will not fit in its spot    a minor detail I guess

So  where does the OTA  properly go     facing which direction. And the Heavy mount needs to be configured properly somehow and secured.  If more pics are needed  please advise

Rest assured   I will not rush this important preparation  Thanks in advance for all the anticipated assitance

#4 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

The wooden spacer makes me think that it packs up like the Tasco 7TE.  The OTA stays in the mount, and the legs wrap back over the mount.  It's hard to tell from your photos, but it looks like there are two curved wooden pieces on bottom front of the case that are felt lined (your first photo) and the OTA might rest against those.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by DreamWeaver, 18 June 2019 - 08:28 PM.

#5 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

To put it in the box, you need to reassemble it with the OTA back in the saddle and the legs on the mount. This is what I refer to as the origami packing arrangement. I didn't figure this out on my own -- there's another thread about packing scopes that I've lost track of that had a whole series of pictures showing the process. 

The mount gets put into alt-az configuration, and the saddle slides down to where the finder is. The azimuth gets adjusted so that the legs can flip up and over and miss the OTA (it's as hard as it sounds -- I actually made a bubble wrap sleeve that I slide over my OTA while I wrestle with the mount). The tube gets turned so that the finder tucks into the lower right corner of the box. 

In my picture below, you can see that the top leg is resting on the counterweight. You have the hexagonal piece that goes into the slot at the right end of the weight, to keep the legs apart.

Chip W.

Selsi - 2.jpg

• DreamWeaver, Kasmos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

Thanks    it looks like this can come together

#7 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

It's interesting that the diagram in your box shows the spreader in the correct location, while mine shows it in the place where the diagram is glued in. But it seems you're missing the pieces that hold the spreader in place. 

It should be easy to glue in the piece with the dowel for the sun screen mount. If you're not going to do that before shipping, then I'd suggest packing the mount separately. 

Same blue thumbtacks! 

Chip W. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#8 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Here's  how it's done with a 60mm.

• DreamWeaver and Defenderslideguitar like this

#9 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

Found the thread with the step-by-step pictures.

https://www.cloudyni...ject/?p=7304501

Chip W. 

#10 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Just in case you were not planing to, after everything is in the box stuff empty spaces with bubble wrap (best) or packing peanuts. Something will possibly get loose, and this will keep it from bouncing around and dinging something else. It also makes the box less compressible, and able to withstand blows and being at the bottom of other boxes during shipping.

#11 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I find it amazing the care that used to be taken to pack these wonderful scopes safely in their box.  Almost a work of art.

#12 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

I would avoid the packing peanuts, unless they are bagged. They will gladly move aside to let something small and dense pass through, and will also happily nest in every crevice they can find in the contents of the box. Stuffing with bubble wrap so nothing can move is a better approach.

Also, the accessory box should be securely taped shut. Its little latch won't stay put. The cover for the eyepiece box won't slide beyond the porro, but I'd tape it to to prevent even that movement. And I'd put the porro in a plastic bag. The strap is all that will hold it in place. Its little wooden capture arm should be taped down, so it doesn't get snapped off. Same for the retainer for the solar screen.

Celestron says to pack a telescope as if it will be dropped 8 feet onto a cinder block (makes you wonder how they came up with that specific scenario). So imagine that in terms of the inertial force of each component in the box going in any direction. Pad internally to stop any resulting motion. Often, what suffers the most damage, is the wooden bracing inside the box.

For lighter boxes, the box itself is strong enough, and it just needs protection from impact (a few layers of bubble wrap and a couple of heavy layers of cardboard -- I use the cardboard in the heavy moving boxes that Lowes sells).

The Selsi is pretty heavy, unless you're going to ship the counterweight and mount separately. So I would use 2" foam insulation all around, and either cut it to interlock or glue it so that it forms a rigid outer box that protects the wooden box from torsional flexing. I've seen boxes arrive with the screws ripped out of their hinges, the latches damaged, and corner finger joints popped open because of an impact on an edge. This is why the manufacturers use double-boxing. The outer box and foam layer spreads the forces out so that they don't twist the inner box. Their foam rigidly wraps around the inner box. It also helps stop puncture damage from reaching the inner box. 

Chip W. 

Edited by ccwemyss, 19 June 2019 - 09:45 AM.

#13 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

this is wonderful assistance  Im taking all this advice to heart and will do it

I am a big fan of over packing and I am  willing to pay extra for that myself

we decided to just send the counter weight separately

I am sending this as a favor to a member here  and I wont cut corners   pun intended

Thanks

#14 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'm thinking the boxes were designed for storage more than for shipping. When checking out ads I never like seeing visual backs, objectives, or finders right up against any surface without room for padding. One small drop on the end could be bad news. Therefore, if possible I would remove and pack them somewhere else.

I was once tempted to buy a 60mm that folds up like these but declined since they seem too hard to put in and out of the box.... hence more prone to adding chips and nicks each time they are.

#15 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

Ill take it under advisement    I will pack accordingly

This might also explain why the craigslsit seller from New Haven said it was never in the box

BTW     the thread above for the 60mm how to pack link is hillarious and helpful    bunch of old pics  dropped in there in 2016

#16 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:18 PM

So  this is a piece of work .... I just put the ota back in the mount and put the legs on and carefully folded it up   I can get it in the box  but it is not easy and it is not fitting well..  I can use some great titebond luthier wood glue to glue in a few of the loose wood pieces for holding things in place but I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I do not want to ship it like this anyway.

It might be best to pack the mount and counterweight   well wrapped and protected separately.

I could then over wrap  the ota and each leg and each little piece and properly tie down   wrap  stuff and pack so nothing can move

i appreciate all the help and pics  and links and ideas    but have to be safe than sorry 

it is a favor for one our members     who  is currently moving from the west to the east and he has his hands full now.....

moving slowly and carefully in Connecticut I am

Attached Thumbnails

• SelsiboxpackingfoldinglegsIMG_2719.jpg
  • SlesipackingboxlegsfoldingIMG_2720 (1).jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 19 June 2019 - 08:19 PM.

• Kasmos likes this

#17 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:42 PM

Rotate the tube so that the finder is under it, going into the corner of the box.

I agree that it will be better to ship the heavy parts separately. You could even send the legs in one of the USPS triangular mailing tubes as further protection. 

Chip W.

#18 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

Post script   I ended up  sending the mount and counterweight separately in fits it ships box    nice

I wrapped the ota  in bubble wrap  twice...  I wrapped each tripod leg separately    each and every single part   was wrapped separately.   With the mount and counter weight removed  there was room to do  a proper job....I used  additional   styrofoam and bubble wrap so that everything was snug............Then the wooden box went into a shipping box  and then into another shipping box   ..I was fairly proud of this packing job......not exactly a work of art   but it was packed well like you would want others to do for you. And that friends is the difference between one of us packing  a proper job    and other commercial jobs  that are done well and sometimes not done well..

All good.....and it went to the buyer via us postal service this am  before the price increases on big boxes  on the 23rd.......

Attached Thumbnails

• selsioverpackIMG_2734.jpg
  • Selsioverpacked2IMG_2737.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 22 June 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#19 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:40 PM

Words cannot describe the depth of gratitude I have for Barry In his extraordinary endeavors to ship the Selsi to me. He truly went leagues beyond what would have been expected of him. In our correspondences, I told Barry I truly appreciated his kindness in making the local purchase and shipping the Selsi, and each time Barry was humble and modest about it saying he was glad to help. The results in this thread shows how much Barry cares not only about the classic telescope but it also shows his integrity to do the best job possible for someone he’s never met. Barry’s truly an honorable person.

For me, this thread is an example of why I love this site and the people in this community. Everyone pitches in and takes the time to ask the question, to pass on their knowledge and experience, and to learn and record the correct methods and processes.

I’ve probably gone on too long about it but I wanted to give Barry and everyone here kudos and thanks for your contribution. 

P.S ., my wife said the postal carrier lady told her that she hopes I enjoy whatever is in the boxes because she had to pull the truck all the way up the driveway to get the heavy boxes to the door, which was no easy task. I will, i most certainly will. 

• Kasmos, jcruse64 and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics