•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IOptron CEM25P park position?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Scoutmaster Jim

Scoutmaster Jim

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

All,

I have the above mentioned mount and I use APT to setup my image capturing and I see that APT plan has a script command to tell the mount to go to park position. I know I have a zero position in the go-to controller on the mount but do not know of a park position. I set a test plan to go to an object, capture a couple pictures and then "park" but it didn't sleep the scope back to what I know to be zero position. Do I have the two mixed up and they do not mean the same thing? If not can someone explain to me the difference? I am able to tell the software to stop tracking so that it wouldn't continue and possibly damage if camera gets near tripod leg.
Your help would be appreciated

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

My AP mount had a few pre-defined park positions. My CEM25P doesn’t.

Even so, I would think that software telling it to park would send it to zero position, but perhaps you have to tell APT what park position is...?

#3 Scoutmaster Jim

Scoutmaster Jim

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

Thanks oldmansky. I will look through the settings on apt to see if there is something about the mount. There is a "park" button on the gear tab which controls the mount but it is not highlighted so I can't click on it.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sorry, I use NINA not APT, so can’t help you there. Let us know what you find out ok?

#5 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

I don't believe "Park Position" is activated on the CEM25P. I never tried it when I own one. The CEM60 I have now does have "Park Positions" six of them.

#6 Scoutmaster Jim

Scoutmaster Jim

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Thanks scadvice. I gather I will just have to tell it to stop tracking

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:29 AM

How good is the mount? Following the specs it id rather light but can take scopes up to 13 kg. Good imaging platform?

#8 Scoutmaster Jim

Scoutmaster Jim

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:22 AM

How good is the mount? Following the specs it id rather light but can take scopes up to 13 kg. Good imaging platform?

Freddy, 

I like the mount. It tracks well even when unguided. Yes it's a little light but can handle probably a little more weight. My OTA is the Explore Scientific ED80CF

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

I want start astrophotofraphy with a 102 mm TS refractor weights about 4 kg  with dovetail and clamps.. i guess should be no issue and i don’t want to struggle with heavy weights, a HEQ5 is out of the question for me ...

#10 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

I like the mount as well.  My PE is about +- 5", and it's smooth and guides out very well.  Easy to operate, works great from the PC through ASCOM (none of the wacky connection/control issues that come up often with the SynScan mounts), GOTO is spot on after a one-star alignment, and imaging with it is as easy as it gets.

I've been using a 61mm WO Z61 for imaging, just picked up a 6" f/4 Newt.  It handles the Newt just fine at 17lbs total weight, I'm just waiting for my coma corrector to arrive to start imaging with it.

#11 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

I want start astrophotofraphy with a 102 mm TS refractor weights about 4 kg  with dovetail and clamps.. i guess should be no issue and i don’t want to struggle with heavy weights, a HEQ5 is out of the question for me ...

The CEM25P will handle the 102mm TS without issues. I imaged with twice that weight on mine and had no guiding problems. Below is a picture of the setup and the second image I ever took with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• setup.jpg
  • integration_DBEA_A_4final_gpa.jpg

Edited by scadvice, 19 June 2019 - 11:42 AM.

• bmhjr and OldManSky like this

#12 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

I just recently acquired a Zenithstar 103 that I am waiting to try out for imaging. I weighed the setup and the total was 13.2lb so I think the CEM25P should handle it just fine.

https://photos.app.g...yunLS1jPUWSFxk6

scadvice is that two 10lb counterweights on there? 

Back to OP, I also use APT but haven't used the "park position" feature. At the end of the night I use the iOptron sky commander software (which is open to make the mount to computer connection anyway) and use the "go to zero position" button. 

Edited by mewmartigan, 19 June 2019 - 01:05 PM.

• Scoutmaster Jim likes this

#13 Scoutmaster Jim

Scoutmaster Jim

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

I just recently acquired a Zenithstar 103 that I am waiting to try out for imaging. I weighed the setup and the total was 13.2lb so I think the CEM25P should handle it just fine.

https://photos.app.g...yunLS1jPUWSFxk6

Back to OP, I also use APT but haven't used the "park position" feature. At the end of the night I use the iOptron sky commander software (which is open to make the mount to computer connection anyway) and use the "go to zero position" button. 

Thanks mewmartigan. I was hoping to automate it somehow so after it finished the imaging plan, it would go to zero position by itself. Closest I found to avoid anything is the #tracking command to stop the tracking. I gather it would just leave the scope in the position that it was in when the plan ended and tracking was turned off. Would rather have had it go to zero position but this should do

#14 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

Thanks mewmartigan. I was hoping to automate it somehow so after it finished the imaging plan, it would go to zero position by itself. Closest I found to avoid anything is the #tracking command to stop the tracking. I gather it would just leave the scope in the position that it was in when the plan ended and tracking was turned off. Would rather have had it go to zero position but this should do

Have you visited the APT forum?  Ivo is pretty good about helping with stuff like this.  There may be a way to get the functionality you want that isn't obvious without asking.

#15 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

These were some custom weights I made (and later sold here on CN) they were 5" diameter...one at  7lbs. and the other at 8lbs.

• mewmartigan likes this

#16 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

I just looked at the APT user guide online and it says the park button:

Parks the telescope. If the mount is parked the button will become UnPark.

The actions park and unpark should be supported by the mount and by the driver.

If you use Shift+Click APT will set the current position as park position.

so you could use the iOptron software to go zero position and then shift+ click on the park button to set that as park.

Edited by mewmartigan, 19 June 2019 - 03:53 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#17 Woodbridge_Dave

Woodbridge_Dave

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:28 PM

I had a CEM25p but sold it because it did not meet my expectations.

I can confirm it does not have a Park feature.   iOptron told me they have no plans to put a park feature in it.  A friend of mine who’s a software programmer wrote a Visual Basic script which installed into SGP, thereby letting me park the scope in SGP.  The script was a genious way to fix iOptron’s huge blunder.

#18 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

I had a CEM25p but sold it because it did not meet my expectations.

I can confirm it does not have a Park feature.   iOptron told me they have no plans to put a park feature in it.  A friend of mine who’s a software programmer wrote a Visual Basic script which installed into SGP, thereby letting me park the scope in SGP.  The script was a genious way to fix iOptron’s huge blunder.

Curious, what did you replace it with?

#19 Woodbridge_Dave

Woodbridge_Dave

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Replaced it with an AZEQ5. 

#20 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:12 PM

A good mount also...smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics