•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cable Management

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

Good cable management is probably the most frustrating task we have to solve to manage.  I am asking if you can share your lessons learned or show your "canonical" examples of good cable management.  I recently got my Planewave 14" + Paramount MX+ up and running and it looks like a cable nightmare.  I use a Digital Loggers remote controlled power and an iCron remote ranger.  I have 2 USB cables that pass through the Paramount.  But those power cords with their wall warts!! Oy!

just looking for suggestions.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• CableManagement30.JPG

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:44 PM

Three choices.  Get the auxiliary cables for the mount. That's what I did and they give me 8 amps of 12 volt power. (They are described in the Paramount manual).  Then I just use some pin cables from Amazon to give power to my camera, focuser and dew heaters. Or you can put a rig runner on the OTA and just use one of the aux cables to power your devices. Finally, you can just run a power cable through the mount if you need more than what an aux cable can provide and then use a rig runner. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#3 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

I second rgsalinger's recommendation. Eliminate the wall warts by bringing a single 12V line to the mount and using that to power as much as possible. Getting 12V from the mount's aux power port is even better. Cables to cameras, filter wheels, and focusers can all be bundled using double sided velcro available from Harbor Freight or online. An alternative to velcro is large diameter split loam which is available online or possibly from an auto supply store.

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

Send me a PM and I’ll tell you how to tame your cables. It won’t be cheap and will require removing your scope, but in the end all your cables will run through the mount, including your SBIG cable. And don’t buy the SBIG extension power cable. It causes a voltage drop and your cooling won’t work properly. 

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:52 PM

I'm not sure what cables are being referred to but the aux cable set that I bought almost 4 years ago from SB has never given any trouble and I have everything in my system running through those two cables. You can calculate the voltage drop from the gauge and length of the cables and it's minimal to say the least. Of course it's poor practice to use a PS that puts out just barely 12 volts in the first place. Sadly many of the cheap PS you guy on Amazon do exactly that. 

On the other hand if you want to run a thick power cable through the mount take a look at the video and then decide if that's something you really want to do. After you do it, if there are problems with guiding you will always wonder if the cable isn't binding. I got rid of mine for precisely that reason. I didn't want DIY cabling in a 10000 dollar mount giving me trouble. 

My solution is cheap, will work and requires you to remove absolutely nothing. 

Rgrds-Ross

#6 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

I ordered the cables from Bisque as it appears to fit my concept of what I'd like to see happen.  I already have 2 USB cables going through the mount and, as was said above, I wouldn't want to cram more through the opening and risk a headache.

thanks

#7 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:09 PM

I received the power cable from Bisque.  What power supply do you recommend to feed the "electronic box" on the Paramount?

If I understand correctly, I would need to build a custom cable from the power supply to the Paramount?

If you have a picture of your setup that would really help.

thanks

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Good cable management is probably the most frustrating task we have to solve to manage. I am asking if you can share your lessons learned or show your "canonical" examples of good cable management. I recently got my Planewave 14" + Paramount MX+ up and running and it looks like a cable nightmare. I use a Digital Loggers remote controlled power and an iCron remote ranger. I have 2 USB cables that pass through the Paramount. But those power cords with their wall warts!! Oy!

just looking for suggestions.

thanks

Wire everything to a rig runner and put the computer on your scope. Best single decision I’ve made in awhile.
  • psandelle likes this

#9 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

I have the aux cable set for my MX+ "Apogee/QSI/SBIG ST-402/STF-8300 Model Camera" as shown in the Paramount Manual. The input cable is attached to two 12 volt 5 amp power supplies which came with pin connectors of the right size (got them on Amazon). So that's how I get power to the devices on the mount. Mount power must still go through the original mount power supply as that is 48 volts. On the output cable you will see 2x2 female pin connections. I just bought some cheap pin to pin cables (from Amazon) and plugged them into the devices on the mount. Since I just have one camera, the focuser, the heaters and the fans that need power, I'm good to go with just that. (The hub gets power from the VersaPlate). I didn't bother with a rig runner but that's certainly far from a terrible idea, particularly if you have more than 4 devices to power. 

I have a powered hub (Startech industrial) on the mount. All of the USB devices plug into the hub. I try to use the Versaplate as much as possible, but I've ended up needing to run one cable from the hub to the computer at the base of the mount for my QHY16200A.  So I've still got one usb cable routed from the mount to the computer from the hub and one from the versaplate to the computer and one from the mount to the computer.

I do not like the idea of routing cables through any mount. It's fine when the mount works but if there is any tracking/guiding problem, then you have one additional element to cause problems and it's a hard one to debug and to reverse easily. I like the idea that anything that can physically cause such problems is visible to me. So my computer ended up with 3 usb cables - one from the mount, one from the hub and one from the versaplate. Only the cable from the hub ever moves. 

I prefer not to have the computer on the mount. That is for two reasons. First, it's easier to attach a keyboard and monitor to a computer and work directly with it when it's near the mount and not on it. You can move the system around in the sky and not worry about cables snagging. This is a pretty small advantage for me as I haven't touched it in 6 months, I must admit. Still I like the idea that if a third party works on it, then they have a no risk method to do so. Second, it makes the choice of computer unimportant. Right now my MX+ is run by a computer I bought three years ago, as refurbished, for 250 dollars. It would not fit on the mount. It's in a little cabinet protected from the elements. If for any reason there was heavy dew or the roof failed to close, it's very unlikely that it would get wet. (I like that.) 

I don't have a good picture of the system as it's out in New Mexico, sorry. 

Rgrds-Ross

#10 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

I have only two cables running to my scope.  Power and USB.  On the scope is a 6 port 12V distribution box to power everything and a 12VDC powered 4 port USB 3 hub to connect it all to my computer.  

• psandelle likes this

#11 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

If you have a Paramount MX+ as the OP does then the power connection never moves, the motor power is from internal wiring. Also, Paramounts take 48 volt power so a 12 volt hub is not very useful for that reason earlier.  So, a 12volt distribution box is not any better than the through the mount power that you can get by just buying the auxiliary cable set. 

Rgrds-Ross 

#12 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

Ok.  Thanks.  With a little splicing, I'll just use my existing power supplies and connect into the 4-pin connector. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics