•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jacobean Stain?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

Has anyone tried Jacobean stain on Baltic birch (Minwax). I like a darker color for my dob Mount and got a couple cans on special, just do not want to mess it up!

#2 StevenYood

StevenYood

Explorer 1

• Loc: Suwanee, GA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:26 AM

Definitely test the stain on scrap before committing to do the scope. I went dark cherry with mine and love the look.

#3 gnev

gnev

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

Saw an interesting video on a woodworking site. Final shade of stain is dependent on the final grade of sandpaper used.  The finer the sandpaper the lighter the shade of stain. They showed test samples with multiple grades of sandpaper used. The coarser the grade the more open the wood grain is resulting in darker shade of the stain. 

#4 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

put two or maybe 3 coats on -- each day, rub on, wait a bit, paper towel off, repeat tomorrow.

You can store a wet rag in the can of stain (you'll be wearing gloves, I assume....) and either burn the wet paper towels or spread them out completely to dry...and don't stack them.

interesting info about sanding...you can definitely see it if you don't sand the inside corners or whatever as well as the rest.....or leave cross-grain scratches where two pieces join.

Vote 2 for the 'test on scrap' option.

PS  if by chance you have any 'football' patches, think again about a dark stain, or at least find one to test among the scraps..... they can end up being really obvious sometimes.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics