•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EON 120ED dew shield retracts when pointed at zenith

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 6opuc9

6opuc9

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle area, WA State

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:23 AM

Orion EON 120ED owners,

Did you ever have issues with the dew shield unintended retracting on its own when pointed vertically? The one I acquired this spring tends to have this issue sometimes when positioned near zenith. It slides smooth and easy, and sometimes I notice it slowly slides back on it's own, given its heft. Not every time, but when I least expect (or desire) it to.

My guess is that the felt may be a bit worn, but before I start messing with it I was hoping to get some advice, and possibly hear of easy fixes that others may have used.

Clear skies to all!

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

Boris:

A simple fix is just to put black rubber band or something elastic that can be stretched and slipped over the dew shield.  When you extend the dew shield, you slide the rubber band up against the bottom of the dew shield and normally that will prevent the dew shield from slipping.

jon

• Paul Schroeder, RAKing and 6opuc9 like this

#3 6opuc9

6opuc9

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Jon. That's a great idea, I'll do that as a temporary solution. In the future will probably need to pull it off and see if it needs new felt, or maybe some kind of additional ring of material installed around the lens cell to make it fit tighter.

#4 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

Also, depending on your climate, you can put a dew strap on the OTA just behind the dew shield.  Although I have never had the dew shield slide down on its own, I have to protect my EON from dew sometimes here in humid Northern Virginia.

Cheers,

Ron

• 6opuc9 likes this

#5 ris242

ris242

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

Boris:

A simple fix is just to put black rubber band or something elastic that can be stretched and slipped over the dew shield.  When you extend the dew shield, you slide the rubber band up against the bottom of the dew shield and normally that will prevent the dew shield from slipping.

jon

After reading that, I thought of others, without rubber bands reaching into the wife's drawer.......and all of a sudden there would be photos of scopes with undergarments on, appearing on cloudy nights. lol.gif

Edited by ris242, 19 June 2019 - 04:38 PM.

#6 6opuc9

6opuc9

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:18 PM

After reading that, I thought of others, without rubber bands reaching into the wife's drawer.......and all of a sudden there would be photos of scopes with undergarments on, appearing on cloudy nights. lol.gif

My EON 120ED is pretty enough to rock some lingerie no questions asked! lol.gif

• rockethead26 likes this

#7 6opuc9

6opuc9

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

Tried the rubber band idea, it really works great. Will need to figure out refelting it in the future, but for now it eliminates the issue. Thank you!

#8 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

Tried the rubber band idea, it really works great. Will need to figure out refelting it in the future, but for now it eliminates the issue. Thank you!

The real fix is to unscrew the dew shield from the ring at the cell, add some felt thickness, and reassemble.

• Agatha likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics