•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which lens/Focal Length telescope for astro object imaging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 imk

imk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK North West

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:41 AM

Hello,

So i have most of the items (camera/lenses/telescope etc) i need to begin my journey into astro imaging, problem is which lens/adapter etc to use for astro objects?

Some months ago while searching the web i found a site that listed astro object and what focal length lens/telescope was required to best image them.

For the life of me i can not find this web site again, anyone have any idea please?

Many thanks imk

#2 Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coruscant

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:10 AM

this one?

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#3 imk

imk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK North West

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

That is the one I had lost many thanks :-)

#4 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Here is one I find more useful:

http://www.blackwate...maging-toolbox/

#5 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

I love Blackwater skies! 

This one is useful if you're looking for coordinate info and mosaic setups:  https://telescopius.com/

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

Knowing what scopes work best on certain targets is useful for the future.  Right know you need to consider wha, and  scopes are better for learning this very complicated hobby and its many new techniques.  It bears little resemblance to terrestrial photography, and it's not at all a matter of just sticking a camera where your eyes are.`  There are strange things involved, the mount is more important than the scope.  If your budget is less than $3000, it deserves most of it.

A good scope for learning is the tool you need right now.  It's what will help you learn faster and better.   A number of scopes can do.  The desirable characteristics are (order of importance):

Short focal length.  600mm at most, 480 is better.

Light weight.  10 pounds maximum, 5 is better.

Fast.  F6 minimum, faster is better.

I'm not inventing this.  It's the recommendation of both the people who have done what you're doing, and the experts.  Here's a talented beginner, looking back on his first year.

"First and foremost is listen to the folks who have been there. The philosophy of 80MM APO and good $1500-2000 mount is great advice for beginners. Sure you can possibly <learn to> image as a beginner with something that is larger or that you may have but holy cow its hard enough with something small."

Holy cow, it is.  <smile>  In the beginning, you don't pick the scope to fit certain targets, you pick the targets that fit your scope.  Experienced imagers who simply tell you what scopes fit what targets are not helping you get into astrophotography, they're explaining what they do, with years of experince.

If you're using a camera lens, a good inexpensive place to start is a good 50mm.

Whatever you decide, this will be a great help.  As I said, this is complicated, you'll never learn all you need to know by reading short posts here.  It's the best $40 you'll ever spend in AP.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Edited by bobzeq25, 19 June 2019 - 09:29 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics