•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 19JUN2019 - Io and Ganymede's shadow...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

...But poor Ganymede is no where to be seen, it seems to have blended into the north polar section of Jupiter with only it's shadow to give away the fact that it is there.  Four captures @ 60 seconds each, 276 fps average, best 15% stacked.  This was the tail end of a sequence of fifteen captures for an animation attempt (posted below), the seeing improved for the last four or five captures.  Would have been nice to get the focus dialed in a bit better but that's always a struggle with my crappy eyes.

jupiter_19jun2019.png

• Sunspot, George Bailey, R Botero and 9 others like this

#2 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:18 AM

And the animation

jup_animation_19jun2019.gif

• George Bailey, Kokatha man, ToxMan and 3 others like this

#3 WSChurch

WSChurch

Lift Off

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Hi kbev,

Nice animation! Have you tried to nail down focus using a Bahtinov mask?

Wayne

#4 Frank1984

Frank1984

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Monterrey, Mexico

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

Great job! I was looking forward to image this transit too, but my sky was plagued with clouds all night long undecided.gif

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

I bet you were dealing with more haze from wildfires than I...I went "wide field" last night and captured at f10...nice transits to watch too.

Edited by ToxMan, 19 June 2019 - 02:01 PM.

• kbev likes this

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

Hi kbev,

Wayne

Wayne - I'm sure Kevin tried his best in the conditions he encountered which I have to say weren't bad at all waytogo.gif ...but a Bahtinov mask is no way to focus on a planet, unless perhaps you are a complete newbie - full stop!!!

#7 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

Excellent!  Finally got a break from the marine layer and I was watching the the Jovian extravaganza last night with my IM715D mak at 320X 400X with very good conditions. Io wasn't hard to see but Ganymede was only visible near the  edge of the disk. David

Edited by dscarpa, 19 June 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#8 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

I bet you were dealing with more haze from wildfires than I...I went "wide field" last night and captured at f10...nice transits to watch too.

Same here - I tried using the powermate but the seeing want cooperating so I backed off to f/10 for these images.

And even though the Woodbury fire is only about 20 miles east of me the smoke plume was blowing NE so it really didn't affect me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by kbev, 19 June 2019 - 09:02 PM.

#9 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:25 AM

Wayne - I'm sure Kevin tried his best in the conditions he encountered which I have to say weren't bad at all waytogo.gif ...but a Bahtinov mask is no way to focus on a planet, unless perhaps you are a complete newbie - full stop!!!

Hi Darryl, just wondering what you recommend to get focus for the planets. I normally try using a close moon for Jupiter or the ring gap for Saturn, this is about as good as I can do with my setup.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

...was going to tell you to read our website Andrew - but the info wasn't there! :lol:

Saturn is easy, the "blackest" Cassini Division will give you best focus...consider the 8 bit grayscale with 256 shades of gray (counting black & white) where you can (or should) be able to discriminate between each shade...once you observe a few passes either side of finest focus you will see which appearance of the C.D. is "blackest" - that's optimum focus.

With Jupiter you need to look at various features such as white storm spots, variations in the boundaries of the NEB in particular as well as tonal variations & detail within it...festooning in the EZ when seeing allows, dark spots & the clarity/definition of other features etc. (all this is of course seeing-dependant!)

Moons can be helpful but I believe surface (or rather upper atmosphere) features are the best! ;)

• Tulloch likes this

#11 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hi kbev,

Wayne

As Darryl said using a B-mask on a planet (or any non-point source) really doesn't work, and if you try to use a star to focus with one you have to really increase the exposure time and gain in order to get a decent view of the spikes.  What I've been doing lately for Jupiter is to get one of the moons in the field, then adjust the exposure until the moon is just bright enough to see on screen.  Once I've got that set I run my crayford focuser in and out to determine where best focus is.  What I might start doing is also noting the focus step readout on either side and shoot for the halfway point.

#12 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:54 PM

Can't imagine trying to do planetary monochrome imaging through filters and trying to focus between filter changes using a b-mask...I don't know if it works. But it's been no problem using visible details on the planet as well as it edges to know when I'm in focus. If I can't get focus in this manner, then the seeing is bad, and time to quit.

#13 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

My question is, will the autofocus or focusing motor help for planets?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics