•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Didn't Jupiters red spot fade in the past?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TBullet

TBullet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

I remember reading in some astronomy book a few years back that Jupiters red spot nearly faded from view. For some reason, the early 1800's may have been the time, I'm not 100% sure. Could this just be another event that happens? Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

• TieDyeAstronomer likes this

#2 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

Faulty optics.

- Cal

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

Jupiter's spot was reddish in the sixties but faded a few years later. Now it's back. If curious to learn more, ALPO has observational records.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Lots of info here:

A Guide to Jovian Activity by Damian Peach

Also, Dave Gray has some good info here:

https://www.cloudyni...iter/?p=9443852

• Magnetic Field likes this

#5 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Plenty of GRS early history here...... https://archive.org/...upiter/page/n69

At times it has seemed covered in white cloud, but clearly present, as it’s oval outline or the bay in the SEB(S) was indicating...........see from page 132 of the above-linked Peek’s book.

I tend to go along with a notion of John Rogers (BAA Jupiter) that the Spot is cyclical – or not even the same one as first definitely recorded. He seems to doubt Hooke’s 1664 spot more favouring Cassini’s 1665 one:

“There were no [sightings] of any such feature between 1713 and 1831 – an apparently unbridgeable gap.” (“The Giant Planet Jupiter (Rogers) – page 6). 

Rogers also doubts the 1879 recognition as being the old Cassini spot.  His book shows early drawings from the mid-1860s-on that show it as a very long ellipse (‘lozenge’) about 1/3rd the length of the visible STrZ.  Renditions by such as Antoniadi, Philips et al; some of who likely could have out-sketched me standing on their heads  – unlikely to be artistically inaccurate.....! 

Such a length against its steady contracting over the decades suggests to me a relatively recent formation/re-formation back then.

I’ve been recording it through many shades (sometimes bi-coloured or shaded-off northwards) of deep orange-red to pale pink to yellow-orange (ochre/tawny even) since the early 1960s and was perhaps nearest to fully deep red in 1964/65 (to me).

Now off out to catch the planet.......no GRS from here tonight..........

• CPellier and Redbetter like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics