•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics Fluorostar 132mm f/7 Triplet APO vs Explore Scientific 127 mm f/7.5 FCD100

refractor astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Peter A Krimbel

Peter A Krimbel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

I am considering these two 900+ focal length refractors for use in astrophotography. Anyone having experience with either or both, your observations and knowledge would be appropriated. The carbon fiber version of the Explore Scientific 127 mm f/7.5 FCD100 is very appealing. And the differences in glass is a big ??? Thanks for your input. I look forward to the discussion.

Pete

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

I have the same question, so I'll follow along for the ride! waytogo.gif

Miguel   8-)

#3 bigdob24

bigdob24

Messenger

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

I’ve got a 132 and loaned it to a friend that does some Astrophotography some time ago and he loved it.

I found 3 pics that he took with the scope and would send them along if you PM you email to me.

Maybe a pic is worth a thousand words.

BT

#4 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

132,,, one of my favorite telescopes of my collection,, you can't go wrong on this scope,,

I also use the reducer/ field flattner too for astro shots

kb

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

The WO is more expensive but it's bigger, build quality is better and it's also at least .95 Strehl. I've got a 10 year WO ZS110 triplet and it's excellent  optically and hardly shows any signs of aging.  David 

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

My buddy has the ES and me a believer in ES scopes. They’re really nice.

#7 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

I just bought the ES but I don't have enough experience viewing with it to say for sure.  I can tell you playing with it in the daytime for a bit so far (the mount isn't here yet) I love it.

I will say that mine was a pre price increase silver grade refurb so it was $1500 vs the new current price of $2200.

I see the WO scope is $3600 and can promise you its not $2100 better than the ES even with its better 3" focuser (at least in the version I saw).

High point has at least one more of them (its still listed) in a silver grade refurb off the old price ($2000), thus the $1500 price.

Any future silver grade refurb scopes they receive will be the discount off the new price of $2200 so $200 more.

If you do order that ask high point to open the box and bubble wrap around the lens hood and stuff newspaper balls or something around the scope to keep the foam blocks in place (they will know what to do just looking at the mess).  This Chinese (factory direct) packaging is so utterly horrible its truly amazing it made it here without breaking. They might even be able to determine why it was a refurb if they are willing to take the time to look at it.  Mine was a piece or two of aluminum shaving trapped inside the scope behind the front elements.  I managed to tip it around and spank it in such a way as to send it down behind a baffle area where it got stuck out of sight never to return.  If there were any other issues I can't find them.  Not bad for $700 off.

From experience and general consensus ES makes up for in customer service and warranty what they occationally lack in QC control due to the Chinese production.

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

ES only gives your scopes optical report after you've had it for awhile.  Someone here posted the report on their ES 140  and it came in just over .93 Strehl  which is very good but not excellent and that's one of ES's higher end scopes. I was considering a ES 140 NEAF demo deal at Woodland Hills but that put me off it.  I can see the  optical quality is better in my WO ZS110 and IM715D mak than my very good C9.25. I'm visual and would be fine with a smaller focuser but if I was imaging would want a bigger one. Would be nice if ES made it an option on the 127.  As to value that's a relative thing. The TOA 130 for example is better optically and considerably more expensive than the WO 132 .  Worth it to some but not others. David

Edited by dscarpa, 23 June 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#9 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

ES only gives your scopes optical report after you've had it for awhile.

Not to interrupt the thread, but I didn't know they even saved that sort of info, how does one go about getting it?

#10 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

I'd like to hear from those who have gotten their reports. I asked Woodland Hills if there was a minimum Strehl on the ES 140 and was told no.  .95 or better is what I'd want.  David  

#11 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

WO will give you a Strehl report but they charge you a fee for it. I Think (I could be wrong though) they claim .95 or better. I have a Stellarvue SVA130T with a Strehl report at .992. My point is you will pay more for something like that.

Is It really necessary to have a Strehl that high? I honestly don't know if the seeing allows you to take advantage of a Strehl  above .95 most nights.

So, I suppose the only way you could know is to have two of the same exact scopes one at .992 and the other at .95.... line up a bunch of seasoned observers who do not know which is which and let them give you their visual opinion of the better scope

I'd like to be there to see something like that. popcorn.gif

Edited by scadvice, 23 June 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#12 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

My buddy has the ES and me a believer in ES scopes. They’re really nice.

I really like mine a lot.  I got a "good one" as they say.  It performs very well every time I use it. No false color or nasties to report.  Its my first ES.  Ive owned Stellarvue, William, and others and this is as good as any of them optically.  Id say the focusers are slightly better on the SV and WO but its not night and day.  Otherwise, the ES compares very well and being triplet helps with color correction. ;)

• Raginar likes this

#13 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

Just checked with ES on getting a report in case anyone was curious you just email them 120 days after the date you warranty register the product with them and they send it to you free.

So I guess I will know how mine tests on Oct 22nd.  I will have tested it thoroughly visually by then and probably love it which is, as was mentioned, the whole reason behind the delay, to prevent number nit pickers from creating extra returns.

#14 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:51 PM

My WO ZS110 and IM715D mak   make a 5"-5.5" refractor redundant so I decided not to get one for my empty Unistar-AP tripod. I ended up getting a Coronado 90 III DS during the sale giving me a big jump performance wise over my single tilt etlon Lunt 60.  It's  about the same size and weight as a 5"   is super stable and not hard to move  on the mount.  If in the future I do want a 5" could put etalons and BF on the ZS110 which is on a Twilght II-Oberwerk tripod that could handle the weight.  An odd advantage of buying a ES used is you'll have the optical  report and that warranty's transferable .  Some of the ES AR 127's have had very good reports hope that's the same with the APOs. The WO 132s rarely come up for sale used and WO does charge for a report  .I bought my WO ZS110 used so don't have one for it.  David

Edited by dscarpa, 25 June 2019 - 03:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics