•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Attaching DSC/tablet to GEM - how to?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sedmondson

sedmondson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Huntsville, AL

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:07 PM

It is easy to mount a DSC (SkyCommander, Nexus DSC) or iPad to Alt-Az mounts such that are usable as you pan the sky. And if you use a GEM with hand controller, you can just hang it somewhere and pick it up as needed.

But what about using a DSC (such as NexusDSC) or tablet (such as Nexus II with SS and iPad)  with a push-to GEM? Where/how can you mount it so that it is easily visible and usable regardless of where the GEM is pointing? You can put it on the tripod, but then its a little low and is only accessible from a limited direction.

Post pictures.

#2 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

It is easy to mount a DSC (SkyCommander, Nexus DSC) or iPad to Alt-Az mounts such that are usable as you pan the sky. And if you use a GEM with hand controller, you can just hang it somewhere and pick it up as needed.

But what about using a DSC (such as NexusDSC) or tablet (such as Nexus II with SS and iPad)  with a push-to GEM? Where/how can you mount it so that it is easily visible and usable regardless of where the GEM is pointing? You can put it on the tripod, but then its a little low and is only accessible from a limited direction.

Post pictures.

Make it easy and cheaper on yourself - use an appropriate GOTO system for the EQ mount. 

But if you feel you must spend a wheelbarrow of cash on a PUSH-TO mount with slip clutches (HIGHLY recommend a Losmandy GM8 or G11), encoders and a DSC use the inexpensive(?) Nexus II Wi-Fi box mounted anyplace on the tripod. Mount your smartphone or small tablet on the focuser using the focuser finder shoe OR on the optical tube using a tube ring. Obviously if you have a rotating focuser and small smartphone or tablet this is the way to go. If you use a tube ring typically they are fixed so this attachment method is less handy than a display device that moves with the focuser and eyepiece. Once the Smartphone is aligned with the main optical tube this setup effectively gives you an AR (augmented reality) system backed up with a DSC. Push to an object of interest to identify it then use the DSC display to zero in on the object. 

Use your imagination. 

#3 sedmondson

sedmondson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Huntsville, AL

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Make it easy and cheaper on yourself - use an appropriate GOTO system for the EQ mount. 

But if you feel you must spend a wheelbarrow of cash on a PUSH-TO mount with slip clutches (HIGHLY recommend a Losmandy GM8 or G11), encoders and a DSC use the inexpensive(?) Nexus II Wi-Fi box mounted anyplace on the tripod. Mount your smartphone or small tablet on the focuser using the focuser finder shoe OR on the optical tube using a tube ring. Obviously if you have a rotating focuser and small smartphone or tablet this is the way to go. If you use a tube ring typically they are fixed so this attachment method is less handy than a display device that moves with the focuser and eyepiece. Once the Smartphone is aligned with the main optical tube this setup effectively gives you an AR (augmented reality) system backed up with a DSC. Push to an object of interest to identify it then use the DSC display to zero in on the object. 

Use your imagination. 

Sorry, I don't want GOTO. I have a 20 year old push-to GM-8 with DSCs, a SkyComander, as well as a Nexus with iPad mini. I can attach the DSC (or ipad if using Nexus) onto the top of my refractor using a rail on the mounting rings, and that works ok. But there really is no place to attach it on my Mewlon 210. I was hoping there were some better ideas on how to attach to the mount.

Edited by sedmondson, 21 June 2019 - 04:42 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics