•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little bit of history

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

My father kept this newspaper because his home county won the All-Ireland final that year and there's extensive coverage of it within this newspaper. This was more than 5 years prior to my arrival on this planet. Unknown to him at the time, his future son would have little if none-at-all (!) interest in sport, like he did, but also unknown to him of course that I would always harbour on interest in things universal and scientific. So, fortuitously, putting it mildly, this edition also contained a lengthy article about the first photographic expedition around the until-then unseen side of the moon. This newspaper has only now come into my possession, and so, 60 years later, I'm the proud owner of this Irish record of an incredible achievement. I'll have to spread the images over several post/comments.... so please bear with me. I hope you find it interesting.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 21.36.39.jpeg

Edited by kevinbreen, 19 June 2019 - 01:52 PM.

• PirateMike, aeroman4907 and Cali like this

#2 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 21.36.40.jpeg

• PirateMike and aeroman4907 like this

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 21.36.41 (1) 2.jpg

• PirateMike and aeroman4907 like this

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 21.36.41.jpeg

Apologies folks, this last image should be the second last, I think...

Should be obvious to you anywayflowerred.gif

• Sunspot and aeroman4907 like this

#5 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

Hmmm, "All-Ireland Hurling Final".  How sick does one have to make themselves to 'hurl' (puke) the farthest?  What is the record for that anyway?  I can't say I'd be all that interested in the sport either!  lol.gif grin.gif 

From your American friend who calls a world-renowned sport a stupid word like "soccer" simply because we have another game called "football" that has very little to do with the feet...

#6 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

Hmmm, "All-Ireland Hurling Final".  How sick does one have to make themselves to 'hurl' (puke) the farthest?  What is the record for that anyway?  I can't say I'd be all that interested in the sport either!  lol.gif grin.gif

From your American friend who calls a world-renowned sport a stupid word like "soccer" simply because we have another game called "football" that has very little to do with the feet...

Google it.

Anyway, the point was to share a historic record of an article of astronomical interest. 

I too have been guilty of misinterpreting the game in the manner you infer, btw.

• aeroman4907 likes this

#7 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

Google it.

Anyway, the point was to share a historic record of an article of astronomical interest. 

I too have been guilty of misinterpreting the game in the manner you infer, btw.

Understood Kevin.  Your posted article is very interesting to read.  Thanks for posting it.  I just couldn't keep myself from responding to the other headline though.  We have two teenage girls we adopted from Colombia, so you try to find humor in whatever you can sometimes...

#8 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

Understood Kevin. Your posted article is very interesting to read. Thanks for posting it. I just couldn't keep myself from responding to the other headline though. We have two teenage girls we adopted from Colombia, so you try to find humor in whatever you can sometimes...

No prob Steve. No offence taken, sorry if you thought I took some!
Two girls, aarrrggh! I’ve a seventeen year old, as of yesterday, in that, she was 17 yesterday, we didn’t acquire her yesterday, and a 6’3” boy of 19. Yep, you read correctly, that’s 6 degrees and 3 seconds!! He’s acute hoor, as we say. Google it!
  • aeroman4907 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics