•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting my scope

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ahaworth79

ahaworth79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Machester, England

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Can i put my skywatcher 150p onto a skywatcher eq3-2 thanks

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

Skywatcher eq3-2 is rated at 5kg and skywatcher 150p is 5 kg (and it is sold as a combo) so in theory yes.

But visual use at most and heftier mount would be better.

#3 ahaworth79

ahaworth79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

Thanks

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:56 AM

I wouldn't. Few things are as frustrating as a telescope on an inadequate equatorial mount.

• Jon Isaacs, gnowellsct, Ken Sturrock and 1 other like this

#5 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

I wouldn't. Few things are as frustrating as a telescope on an inadequate equatorial mount.

Can you recommend a good Beginner EQ mount around $200US?

Thanks...

Edited by gkarris, 20 June 2019 - 09:37 AM.

#6 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

Thanks...

I think a good EQ around $200US is difficult to find. That being said, I only have experience with my CG-4, but so many reviews consider anything at $200US to be inadequate at best and unusable at worst. My CG-4 works extremely well, but goes for around $300 new from Astronomics, the site sponsor. For a beginner EQ, I think it really is the minimum... I have mounted a long tube 4" frac and my Coronado DS 60mm on it, and with the motor kit, it tracks superbly.

Others may know of a sub $300US EQ mount that is adequate and will hopefully chime in...

YMMV

CB

• gkarris likes this

#7 watchplanets

watchplanets

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

iam asumming 150p is the 150mm F/650mm fl or 6"f/5 reflector?

celestron and others sell with that mount so yes its fine

btw the eq3-2 is almost the same as the eq4 onmi only difference is eq3-2 is an older model that came with alumunim tripod and now its steel tripod but the mount is the same one. Ohh also the original was black new one is white but again its same mount.

the 6"f/5 reflector ota is not that heavy so its for visual, and being a reflector the ep is on the top so the tripod can be fully down making it more stable compared to being fully up or halfway.

if you really wanted a bigger mount then ok get a eq5 or if its for AP then ok I can see u you wanting  this mount, but anything more I think is over kill for a 6" short tube reflector.

Edited by watchplanets, 20 June 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

A few months ago you could get a LX70 on closeout sale for $200. But today, you are looking at $300 for a CG4. That doesn’t include motors, which seems almost a little pointless to me to get an Eq Mount without at least an RA motor.

Scott
  • gnowellsct likes this

#9 watchplanets

watchplanets

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

they sell those single 9v ra motors for like 40 if you polar aiagn u don't anything more. motors don't have to be expensive

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:48 PM

Thanks...

The simple answer to this is no.  More complicated answer is there are some good used equatorials out there.  Anything by Vixen is good particularly their nice light duty equatorial mounts from the late 80s and 90s--the Polaris (small), the Super Polaris (less small), and the successor Great Polaris.  

There are heavier duty equatorial mounts the Great Polaris DX and Super Polaris DX but no one is going to cut loose of one of those on the cheap.

But if you  mean "can I go on an astronomy store web site and get a good equatorial mount for $200," the answer to that is no.

• Akol47 and gkarris like this

#11 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

Look for a used CG4

Edited by tony_spina, 21 June 2019 - 12:11 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

The simple answer to this is no.  More complicated answer is there are some good used equatorials out there.  Anything by Vixen is good particularly their nice light duty equatorial mounts from the late 80s and 90s--the Polaris (small), the Super Polaris (less small), and the successor Great Polaris.  

There are heavier duty equatorial mounts the Great Polaris DX and Super Polaris DX but no one is going to cut loose of one of those on the cheap.

But if you  mean "can I go on an astronomy store web site and get a good equatorial mount for $200," the answer to that is no.

What about $300?

It is better to spend $300 on a workhorse than $200 on a dead one... ;)

• SeattleScott and SeaBee1 like this

#13 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

I think a good EQ around $200US is difficult to find. That being said, I only have experience with my CG-4, but so many reviews consider anything at $200US to be inadequate at best and unusable at worst. My CG-4 works extremely well, but goes for around $300 new from Astronomics, the site sponsor. For a beginner EQ, I think it really is the minimum... I have mounted a long tube 4" frac and my Coronado DS 60mm on it, and with the motor kit, it tracks superbly.

Others may know of a sub $300US EQ mount that is adequate and will hopefully chime in...

YMMV

CB

good to know - thanks - will look into this one when I'm ready...

• SeaBee1 likes this

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

The simple answer to this is no. More complicated answer is there are some good used equatorials out there. Anything by Vixen is good particularly their nice light duty equatorial mounts from the late 80s and 90s--the Polaris (small), the Super Polaris (less small), and the successor Great Polaris.

But if you mean "can I go on an astronomy store web site and get a good equatorial mount for $200," the answer to that is no.

I just sold a Great Polaris with motors in good condition for $400 shipped. Certainly wasn’t about to let it go for $200.

Scott

#15 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

Thanks...

For your Meade "Infinity" 80mm f/5 achromat, this one would be adequate...

https://explorescien...l-exosnanot1-00

Even the EQ-1 or EQ-2 mounts in black would support your telescope.  That ES mount is at about an EQ-2; closer to that than a CG-4(EQ-3).

• gkarris likes this

#16 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

For your Meade "Infinity" 80mm f/5 achromat, this one would be adequate...

https://explorescien...l-exosnanot1-00

Even the EQ-1 or EQ-2 mounts in black would support your telescope.  That ES mount is at about an EQ-2; closer to that than a CG-4(EQ-3).

Thanks.

There seems to be a thread dedicated to this mount:

https://www.cloudyni...nano-eq-thread/

There's still the camp (up above) that this mount is too cheap...

#17 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

A good rule of thumb is never put a scope on a mount if the scope weighs more than the mount. With a high end premium mount, you might be able to achieve a 1:1 ratio. But with mass produced mounts you always want the mount to weigh more than the scope. Forget what the manufacturer rates it for. Weight ratings are great when you are buying a Losmandy, Astro Physics or Vixen mount. But they are more or less meaningless for mass produced mounts. My old CG5 was a 29lb mount rated for 35lb but everyone in the know knew it was only good for 20-25lbs. Celestron got more realistic with the AVX. A 35lb mount rated for 30lb. Probably still a little aggressive but not a blatant lie. I remember people asking why the new improved, beefier model was rated for less than the previous model. Because the rating for the previous model was bs.

So this mount weighs 13 lbs and you want to put a 15lb scope on it. A mass produced, entry level mount is not going to support a tube that weighs more than it very well. Note in the thread that the biggest scope they tested it with was an 8lb C6. Granted I have never used this mount, but everything in me says putting a 6” newt on it would be like towing an RV trailer with a Ford Ranger...

This entry level 13lb mount can support a 15lb scope. And my stock Subaru Impreza can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Driving down Stevens Pass...

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 22 June 2019 - 04:40 PM.

• SeaBee1, Voyageur, bchandler and 2 others like this

#18 Akol47

Akol47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Cheap consumer grade mounts can be expensive, I have 2 of them. But they are so much better than super cheap mounts. I love my cg4, but I love the avx more. In my experience the mount is very much a large part of a good time observing. It seems like the optics should be, but they depend on the mount at the end of the night

Edited by Akol47, 24 June 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• gnowellsct and SeaBee1 like this

#19 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

That is a 6" f/8 newtonian?

Comes on a dobsonian  mount?

#20 ahaworth79

ahaworth79

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Its the 6 inch f/5 750 fl... Its just the other on a homemade rocker box

#21 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

Thanks...

No such thing exists!!

#22 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

You can get a used orion sky view pro, or celestron cg5 mount for a little more than $200 used.

These are the best/largest mounts you can buy in that price range.

There might be a meade clone out there too, but I don't know what it is called.

This does not include any motors.  Just the bare mount in reasonable condition.

And that is in the continental US.

My SVP with tripod that has 2 inch legs can hold a 8inch f/5 reflector if you are patient, focusing is a bit touchy.

If it is windy it won't work either.

#23 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

Ok my question.. I have two Meade 10 in ...one a new the (0ld starfinder) on it original gem , the other, a Meade Schmitt newt. On a LXD55 mount, which had I known how weak/ wobbly probably wouldn't have picked it up.. but both were Cheap, local, and have adequate optics for my needs.

Now I am thinking on an upgrade,  a better go-to mount , that I can pier mount, that can handle either of these,  OR my CELESTRON C8......

Using a dovetail mount to swap out  for one of these three scopes.... As for money let's for giggles limit to $1000.

What would you recommend?

#24 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

For a mount that will adequately support a 10” Meade Starfinder for under $1,000 I think you are looking at the Losmandy AZ8 or buy used. Not GoTo but a buddy added encoders to his. GoTo will be challenging. Looking at an Atlas AZ/EQ or something. You will struggle to do GoTo operations with a Newt on a GEM because rotating the tube tends to throw off your alignment. There are some handy people out there who have made some slick DIY modifications to be able to do GoTo on a GEM. Otherwise you hit everything in one part of the sky, then repeat the alignment process for the other part of the sky after you rotate the tube. Or just get a GoTo alt az, but one big enough for the 10” Meade will be pricey. Shoot, just a GoTo Eq that can handle the 10” will be pricey.

Scott

#25 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

I reasked this in mounts . I'm not needing go to as punch in and it goes... But motorized slewing...just to clarify

Three scopes of different configuration would confuse anyone....let alone a machine..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics