•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Most popular imaging equipment on astrobin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

Is there a way to see statistics on the most popular astrographs, cameras, etc on astrobin?

Or do a search, filter and then see the count of each type of equipment?

#2 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:51 AM

Is there a way to see statistics on the most popular astrographs, cameras, etc on astrobin?

i would post that question in the Astrobin forums.

#3 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

If you click on any piece of gear, it goes to a landing page, and on the right tells you number of owners and number of images. For example: https://www.astrobin...hashi-fsq106ed/

The problem is the gear database is sort of a mess with many duplicates. Improvements to the gear database is something that is high on Salvatore's list to work on. So we hopefully will see improvements.

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

It may be an interesting thing to know, but I would caution against using that information to make purchase decisions. If we did this for visual, we'd end up with Bird-Jones reflectors and 60mm F/11 achros on rickety mounts as our scopes of choice...

• waso29, FiremanDan, ImNewHere and 2 others like this

#5 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

It may be an interesting thing to know, but I would caution against using that information to make purchase decisions. If we did this for visual, we'd end up with Bird-Jones reflectors and 60mm F/11 achros on rickety mounts as our scopes of choice...

I did this exact thing many years ago, prior to the widespread use of the internet.  I was in the market for an AP setup and browsed the astro magazine images folks made and made a list of the equipment most folks used.  I ended up getting an 8" LX200 on a wedge as that was what most seemed to use.  It was a horrible setup for me being a beginner in the AP hobby.  Too much focal length, there was no such thing as autoguiding back then, using film made things almost impossible to focus well though the camera's viewfinder.  I ended up piggy backing the camera on the scope and instantly got much better results.

#6 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:36 PM

If you look at a lot of images on astrobin, there is no equipment listed or only partial equipment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics