•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone Recognize This Motorized Camera Mount?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

Got this in an astro estate buy, looks to be some sort of camera tracking mount. About 15" long, counterweight shaft is 1/2". I didn't get a counterweight with this but I did get about 50+ counterweights of various sizes in buckets but haven't dug through them to find one that might go with this. 

Anyone know who made this? 

Tom Duncan

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7913T.jpg
  • DSC_7915T.jpg
  • DSC_7916T.jpg

• zjc26138 and terraclarke like this

#2 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

That's cool. I wish all mounts were that simple!

Add a wedge, tripod and polarscope and up and running!

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

It looks like it's made for a certain latitude already, with the tripod attachment point being angled like a wedge...

I don't recognize the entire thing (it might be home-made), but I do recognize the drive motor.  It's the older model of the one Orion sells here:

https://www.telescop...ord=drive motor

...but it appears to lack the Orion branding, so likely a generic version of it.  I had the exact same motor drive years ago (hooked it up to a Tasco GEM).

If it's not home-built, it'll be interesting to see who made it!

#4 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

Thanks all, keep it coming. 

I was also wondering about the latitude but then I figured this was designed to be mounted on a tripod head which would allow fine tuning of that. The angled cut just got you in the ball park. 

If this was home made it was done by someone professionally qualified, but it looks like a production unit to me. The unbranded motor supports this, a home made job would probably take a motor off the shelf which would likely be branded. 

Tom 

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

Made by Nihon Seiko according to Gary Hand. Sold as a camera tracker by the old Pocono Mountain Optics. I had one in the 90's I beefed up a little so I could use it as a travel mount to carry my Pentax 75EDHF. I got some great views of Omega Centauri during a trip to the Bahamas one year.

Edited by photoracer18, 20 June 2019 - 04:07 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

The camera plate holder and the DEC lock knob are not original. Not sure about the CW safety knob. The weights were similar to the thin tall ones I have seen around. I added an extra weight from an EQ-2 to help balance the Pentax 75ED.

I used a Bogen 3021 tripod under it because they have lock screws on the bottom of the elevator shaft plate to lock something on tight.

Edited by photoracer18, 20 June 2019 - 04:13 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#7 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

Thanks all.

I figured the camera plate holder was not original but it seems to work fine. Doesn't matter though as it is attached to a standard 1/4-20 threaded post. I also thought the DEC lock knob wasn't original, it looks like a Synta camera mount post common to most of their rings. 

Tom 

#8 MASILMW

MASILMW

Mariner 2

• Vendors

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

Wow, Gary Hand said "Nihon Seiko made it"? Well no, I designed the first one for myself to use a fast 135mm lens and camera for taking short exposure pix and that was back in prehistoric times (Film). Anyway, since of number of folks liked so much I took it to a friend of mine who owned FJR Manufacturing and he made them for Apogee Inc.. Pocono Mtn. Optics was a dealer for Apogee.

I made another one years later (for myself) using a 180 tooth worm & worm gear which I machined because I couldn't find a good 180 tooth worm gear off the shelf which I liked. I used the 180 tooth gear because it coupled directly to a Carton Motor Drive which I had and that gave me 1440 minutes per day which is the solar rate.

SF

Attached Thumbnails

• LPCM2.JPG

• terraclarke likes this

#9 MASILMW

MASILMW

Mariner 2

• Vendors

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

Tom,

Gary Hand had absolutely no part in designing this product.

SF

• terraclarke likes this

#10 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

Tom,

Gary Hand had absolutely no part in designing this product.

SF

He never said he did nor did I say he did.  Glad someone who was there knows the story. I liked it enough to own 2 of them at different times. Although I used the last one for something it was not designed to do but worked for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics