•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

N3p's DIY thumbscrew

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

Being pretty unsatisfied about the low availability of most of the cool hardware in Canada, in particular, the thumbscrew.. I decided to build my own out of wood and a stainless steel bolt 2"... They are actually quite strong, and they will do the job for my custom wooden rotating ring I am currently building for my grab and go 6" Newtonian.

These are the thumbscrews, not too complicated to build but a drill press is required. (I receive one for my upcoming birthday, explaining the sudden crafting outburst lol.gif)

The bolt is a standard 1/4" diameter (NC20 I believe) x 2"  the longest part was to carve the hex shape in the wood but it gives great satisfaction at the end. The bolt was sunk into epoxy and carpenter's glue for the top cap.

The epoxy is sticking pretty well on the stainless, I tried to destroy one and some wood won't come off the stainless, I had to use a sharp blade to cut it off.

Tomorrow I'll pass them on the belt sander to round the edges and apply some varnish on the wood.  (;

bUI9J6v.jpg

• don clement, dmcnally and Garyth64 like this

#2 optinuke

optinuke

Explorer 1

• Loc: Las Vegas, NV area

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:58 PM

Nice.  I've been thinking about doing something similar.  I had wondered about how well the epoxy would bond to the other components, and you've answered that.

I assume you cut cylinders from a wood dowel for the knob parts.

I got my wife a drill press years ago for her birthday.  On my next birthday she got me a Cuisinart food processor...

Jay

• dmcnally, Cameron_C and N3p like this

#3 dmcnally

dmcnally

Machined Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lompoc, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

I got my wife a drill press years ago for her birthday.  On my next birthday she got me a Cuisinart food processor...

laughing-02.jpg

Clear Skies,

Dave

#4 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:46 AM

Nice.  I've been thinking about doing something similar.  I had wondered about how well the epoxy would bond to the other components, and you've answered that.

I assume you cut cylinders from a wood dowel for the knob parts.

Jay

Yes it's 1" wood dowel.

(;

• optinuke likes this

#5 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

This is my new final thumbscrew concept with varnish.  They are pretty solid, I think they are going to do the job and for those who perhaps want to built their own. (Could happen)

zilykyE.jpg

Edited by N3p, 21 June 2019 - 01:37 PM.

• optinuke likes this

#6 optinuke

optinuke

Explorer 1

• Loc: Las Vegas, NV area

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for posting.  I'm inspired now.

Jay

#7 laixiaolue

laixiaolue

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA, USA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

I use a 3D printer.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6474.JPG

#8 Cameron_C

Cameron_C

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill Ontario Canada

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

Being pretty unsatisfied about the low availability of most of the cool hardware in Canada, in particular, the thumbscrew.. I decided to build my own out of wood and a stainless steel bolt 2"... They are actually quite strong, and they will do the job for my custom wooden rotating ring I am currently building for my grab and go 6" Newtonian.

These are the thumbscrews, not too complicated to build but a drill press is required. (I receive one for my upcoming birthday, explaining the sudden crafting outburst lol.gif)

The bolt is a standard 1/4" diameter (NC20 I believe) x 2"  the longest part was to carve the hex shape in the wood but it gives great satisfaction at the end. The bolt was sunk into epoxy and carpenter's glue for the top cap.

The epoxy is sticking pretty well on the stainless, I tried to destroy one and some wood won't come off the stainless, I had to use a sharp blade to cut it off.

Tomorrow I'll pass them on the belt sander to round the edges and apply some varnish on the wood.  (;

bUI9J6v.jpg

How did you cut hexagonal holes?

#9 ripperj

ripperj

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

bb65f43c50d8b2c1fa3c8098618f26e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by ripperj, 30 June 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#10 drneilmb

drneilmb

Viking 1

• Loc: Decorah, IA, USA

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

20190630_220632-885x566.jpg

Flat-head machine screw, wing nut, hex nut. 

• howardcano likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics