•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neptune and Triton 30 April

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:39 AM

Here's an image I took of Neptune and Triton (??) a while ago. Not much in the way of detail recorded for either, both come up as fuzzy blue blobs, but still interesting in their own way.

[edit] Based on some recent feedback, seems that it's not actually Triton, more likely to be a stray star in the background that wasn't in the SkySafari database. Sorry about that blush.gif .

Celestron Evolution 6" SCT, Canon 700D, Celestron 2x Barlow, Baader Neodynium SkyGlow filter, ISO 1600, shutter speed 25 sec, with a little processing and image reduced to 0.2 [edit] 0.5x actual in Photoshop Elements.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Neptune and Triton small.jpg

Edited by Tulloch, 20 June 2019 - 06:40 AM.

• zjc26138, Sunspot, KpS and 7 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:32 AM

That's not Triton - it never gets further than 16" from Neptune, or something like 7 Neptune diameters.

• Tulloch likes this

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:27 AM

Hi happylimpet, thanks for that, looks like I may have got a bit over-excited with that Triton call.

Below is what I was expecting to see from SkySafari Plus, looked very close to what I got confused1.gif so I made the call. It may well have been a star in the background that wasn't in my SkySafari database.

I'll update the original post with an edit.

Thanks,

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5802.jpg

Edited by Tulloch, 20 June 2019 - 04:31 AM.

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

Sorry to be a killjoy. Have you tried stretching the contrast a lot to see if its there in the background?

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:09 AM

Sorry to be a killjoy. Have you tried stretching the contrast a lot to see if its there in the background?

No worries, all good. Prefer to be right any day. I've had a quick stretch of the data, but it's difficult to see anything except noise at the moment smile.gif .

In retrospect, it's probably also too bright compared to Neptune, even with a 25 sec exposure. I'd only had the scope for about 2 months prior to taking this, so put this one down to inexperience and over-enthusiasm.

Thanks again,

Andrew

#6 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Anyway, regardless of that, its still cool to see Neptune as a small blue disk with a star for comparison.

• Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics