•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Website for double star observation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:08 AM

Dear double star observers,

I started observing doubles because of a project of Sissy Haas, uneven double stars. After observing a lot of them I included more and more other doubles and multiples in my observing plan. I infected my friend Robert too.

We found it is the time to share our observations. Robert created a website, which collects double star observations

This site is open for sending of other observer too. Robert has to do some polishing of the site, which includes a description of the format for sending. It will be a semicolon separated file (csv) which may be written with excel.

We have a lot of sketches near the observation. Some of teh sketches are still hidden in our observation records and will be added in the near future.

• rustynpp, R Botero, Nucleophile and 3 others like this

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:22 AM

There might be a problem with the link.  I get a message about the domain just having been registered, and some ad links to "sedoparking.com" that mimic what might otherwise be taken for an astro index.

#3 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:24 AM

I corrected the problem. Should work now.

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:47 AM

I corrected the problem. Should work now.

That seems to do the trick. 

#5 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Thanks Uwe, seems like a fun and useful project. I've bookmarked the page for future reference.

One tip - you might want to add some column headers to your table. The content of most columns is obvious, but there are a few that have me confused.

I look forward to following your progress!

#6 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

One tip - you might want to add some column headers to your table. The content of most columns is obvious, but there are a few that have me confused.

Totally agree. This is on my ToDo list wink.gif I guess you mean the numbers in the last two columns. Maybe I'll just drop them. They state the number of observers/observations. Nice, but not necessary.

Edited by Robert Zebahl, 20 June 2019 - 08:01 AM.

#7 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

I like you site and find the comments when selecting a particular pair to be interesting. Impressions, comments and drawings are a great resource for visual observers. Question: are the measures your measures are measures taken from other resources? (Given the instruments, I am guessing taken from other resources as background information for the observations.) If taken from other resources, it would be nice to know the resources.

Congratulations, Ed

#8 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

Hi Ed,

thanks for your comment smile.gif

I updated the website: removed two columns, added a header line to the table and added a small sentence about the data source. I will provide a link to the WDS website, when available again. In short: The data is mainly taken from the most recent version of the WDS.

CS,

Robert

Edited by Robert Zebahl, 20 June 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• rustynpp likes this

#9 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:12 PM

Thanks, Robert. Good fortune for your new site!

Ed

#10 3c_273

3c_273

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

My double star observations. While they aren't quite in the format you might want, there are 5,126 of them.

https://mainsequence...uble_Stars.html

• rustynpp and Robert Zebahl like this

#11 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

My double star observations. While they aren't quite in the format you might want, there are 5,126 of them.

https://mainsequence...uble_Stars.html

That's an impressive number of observations. Make them available on our site would keep me busy for several weeks lol.gif  But I will put a link to your website on ours.

But: If it should ever happen that the observations should no longer be accessible to the public, I would like to process and integrate them into our project. There is a lot of effort and passion behind it waytogo.gif

#12 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

Dear Tom, great site! I will look to there in the future to compare it with my own findings.

#13 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

Update: I have added an introduction and description of the submission format to the project page smile.gif Thanks to Uwe for the introductory text waytogo.gif

#14 Robert Zebahl

Robert Zebahl

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for the submissions we have received. Although the number of observers is still manageable, the number of double stars, their observations and photos has grown well. After all, the list now includes more than 1200 double stars with more than 1600 observations! This is supplemented by more than 160 sketches and more than 70 photos. So it is worthwhile to have a look at parts of the list and be inspired, even if the list is very long.

BTW: Most of the observations come from the USA (thanks Mark) waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics