•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Regal 65mm and mounting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

I have a Celestron Regal 65mm ED, the M2 version, weight about 1.6kg including zoom eyepiece, max magnification I will use it about 70x (ES 5.5mm).

I'm looking for a light, not too expensive and with arca-swiss clamp mount. I already have a 15cm Arca Swiss dovetail to balance the scope (it really needs 15cm as this Regal is very back-heavy). Dual use, nature and sky.

In another discussion someone said

If your spotting scope has a collar ring that can be rotated by 90 degrees then a 36-44mm Arca-Swiss ballhead used in alt-az config (rotated into the notch) is solid and cheap.

which is something I never tought about (ball heads are generally considered not good for moving targets, but the idea or rotating the spotting scope to change the balance point in order to use a ball-head as a fluid head is new for me).

IHF said in the other discussion

I assume to mount the 80mm Regal (not 100mm)?

Yes, I mean the diameter of the ball. The Sirui K20X (38mm) and K30X (44mm) are very solid and basically the references for Asian made ballheads. Unfortunately a bit pricey and the K40X a monster (too large for you). Searching on Italian Amazon this mid price option looks to have a 40mm ball while this a 46mm. You really don't need huge ballheads as long as they are stable enough to hold the scope and not drop it. There are no strongly levered forces in alt/az configuration, everything is very simple and central. A high quality smaller ballhead is preferable over a larger not well made one. There are 36mm ballheads in the EUR 20-30 range. Maybe you can borrow a ballhead and try it first? I would not trust a koolehaoda E2/E3 though (as they show in my searches) - they are weird and too cost reduced, even though they have large diameter balls. Finally, depending on the size of the eyepieces that you are planing to use you may want a longer than default 60-70mm Arca-Swiss plate, say 100-150mm, to balance the scope with different eyepieces better.

Suggestions? Thanks. Yes, eventually I can order on Amazon and return the mount if not satisfied.

• paulsky likes this

#2 Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

I have a Celestron Regal 65 old version (the one before the M2), that weights about 300 g more than the M2.

I'm still using it with a Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod, now discontinued. I successfully use it with a 5mm EP for astronomy on the Velbon tripod, I really like the Sherpa PH-157Q 3-way Pan-head.

http://velbon.biz/pr...13_Archive.html

The 600R model is now discontinued, the same head is offered with the 2017 Sherpa 300 model but is rated for 3 kg instead for 4 kg as "ideal" load.

http://velbon.biz/product/sherpa.html

The problem is that it is not Arca Swiss compatible as it is, unless you don't use a clamp, but I don't know how sturdy will be that solution.

• paulsky likes this

#3 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

I have never seen any Arca/ Swiss paraphernalia that was reasonable much less cheap. I use an Arca rail and saddles on my long range target rifle.

Bruce

#4 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

What about this one?

https://www.amazon.i...B071WJ9DWD?th=1

#5 Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:15 AM

What about this one?

https://www.amazon.i...B071WJ9DWD?th=1

I don't know where you live, but I would like to try the tripod and head with the spotter before purchasing on Amazon, to see if the solution works.

Try first a model in a shop, then check if there is the same model or a similar one on Amazon at a cheaper price (sometimes the price can be lower in a shop).

#6 ihf

ihf

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

Re #4: your link goes to the koolehaoda E2. The koolehaoda E* series is cheap, has huge spheres but poor friction adjustments. For a 65mm spotting scope a 36mm ballhead is a good match, 28mm is less than I like when used in alt-az. It needs to have a panoramic base though (bottom ring, usually with degrees) to work, ideally with its own friction adjustment. Most ballheads seem to have that feature[1]. The koolehaoda KM-60B[2] looks ok as does Andoer TRIOPO B-2 (EUR 40) or Andoer Manbily KM-0 Pro (EUR 19), or this Andoer. Unfortunately the Italian Amazon has less choice, or I have a hard time navigating it. You are looking at a price range of EUR 20-50. (In the US the more expensive Chinese heads are usually a bit better machined and slightly smoother, but I think for your application they all may work. I can't figure out what the difference between the Andoers is, their website is not useful.)

Why not borrow a ballhead from a photographer and try it out?

[1] You really don't need to adjust much friction in alt/az config. It is mostly to dampen the movement and sometimes to better balance a large eyepiece.

[2] Now that I am looking again the KM-60B has this weird panoramic clamp on top in addition, I think you don't need that.

Edited by ihf, 21 June 2019 - 11:31 AM.

• Riccardo_italy likes this

#7 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

Thanks to everybody, will try to test the ball head!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics