•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQMOD Tutorial on New EQR-6 Pro Model

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hello, I've created a how-to video for getting EQMOD to work with the new EQ6-R Pro model that now has a USB port on the mount head which can be used to connect directly to the computer.  I am still learning about EQMOD, so I am all ears if anyone has some tips.

https://youtu.be/csRSXBvQixg

• TrustyChords, bryanphan and ThatsNoMoon like this

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

I'm running eqmod with SGP and have some pointers.

The eqmod panel has an expansion button [>>>] in the upper right corner of the panel. It gives you access to other features of eqmod. When (not if), some day, you suddenly can't communicate with the mount, you've gotten caught in "Profilic driver hell". It's not uncommon for Windows updates to break the Prolific drivers which will need to be matched with the updated windows.

Your mount has, I believe, encoders that allow moving the mount with the clutches loose without loosing track of its position. These encoders rarely play nice with eqmod and need to be disabled. You can do this from the expanded eqmod panel.

Eqmod and SGP can work together to give you very accurate pointing. This requires setting the eqmod "Append on sync" option which will allow using SGP's plate solve to build the sky model. In SGP,  you need to use the plate solve and sync available from the Control Panel (Ctrl E) Menu. The first plate solve you do with SGP on each side of the meridian should be done using the web blind sover that you set up within SGP. Once you have a single sync point, local computer plate solves should rapidly build your sky model while working away from established points.. When I do this, I use CdC (planetarium program) to position the scope. You can also position the scope using the manual movement controls and eqmod's sync point map. There's some other tricks to improving pointing accuracy but they take some experience to determine which work best for you.

• Yob Snob likes this

#3 Yob Snob

Yob Snob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

I'm running eqmod with SGP and have some pointers.

The eqmod panel has an expansion button [>>>] in the upper right corner of the panel. It gives you access to other features of eqmod. When (not if), some day, you suddenly can't communicate with the mount, you've gotten caught in "Profilic driver hell". It's not uncommon for Windows updates to break the Prolific drivers which will need to be matched with the updated windows.

Your mount has, I believe, encoders that allow moving the mount with the clutches loose without loosing track of its position. These encoders rarely play nice with eqmod and need to be disabled. You can do this from the expanded eqmod panel.

Eqmod and SGP can work together to give you very accurate pointing. This requires setting the eqmod "Append on sync" option which will allow using SGP's plate solve to build the sky model. In SGP,  you need to use the plate solve and sync available from the Control Panel (Ctrl E) Menu. The first plate solve you do with SGP on each side of the meridian should be done using the web blind sover that you set up within SGP. Once you have a single sync point, local computer plate solves should rapidly build your sky model while working away from established points.. When I do this, I use CdC (planetarium program) to position the scope. You can also position the scope using the manual movement controls and eqmod's sync point map. There's some other tricks to improving pointing accuracy but they take some experience to determine which work best for you.

Thanks for these tips, Phil.  I'm will take a look at these options.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics