•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flats and Floppy Dew Shields

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Devonshire

Devonshire

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

I'm thinking of making a supplementary dew shield for my refractor, and craft-foam-and-velcro looks like it would be both effective and convenient. 

But... I doubt that it would support the weight of the panel that I use for flats, so I'd need to remove it for that, and place the panel directly on the scope while vertical (perhaps an inch or so from the lens). 

Wondering if others here have dew shields that won't support their flat gadgetry, and whether they've found that shield-on vs. shield-off made any difference to the quality of the flats?

Thx!

- Bob

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Gemini

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

I take the dew shield off for flats. I use a light panel and set it directly on my OTA. The dew shield doesn't affect the focus or the alignment, the two things necessary for a good flat...other than proper exposure time.

• TrustyChords likes this

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

Same here. I take the dew shield off. On my SCT, the flat panel is about a centimeter from the corrector. On my refractor it's about a cm from the objective. Not a problem.

• TrustyChords and Dynan like this

#4 Devonshire

Devonshire

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics