•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Automatic Focuser for Celestron Evolution

EAA equipment optics SCT accessories beginner cassegrain Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:36 PM

I am currently using a Celestron Evolution Telescope using a manual focuser and would like some recommendations for an auto focuser so I can use my ASCOM drivers to automatically focus on a image.  I have seen the Feather Touch focuser and I was impressed with how fine you can adjust the focus compared to the Celestron stock focuser.  In addition to something like the Feather Touch focuser, I would also like something motorized so I could do it without being by the telescope.  I know that Celestron has finally come out with their own focuser and sells for about $200.

#2 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:43 PM

I own one of the Celestron Motofocuses and you can do very very fine adjustments. If you end up getting one make sure you don't over tighten the collar during installation or it will cause the motor to stall. I thought mine was faulty and I had just installed it incorrectly

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:23 PM

When you say "focus automatically" what do you mean? An auto focusing is a bit more complicated than just added an motorized focuser. The reason I ask is I'm in the middle of converting to auto focusing. A little further down that road than you but I'm always interested in how others are planning to use and accomplish it.

#4 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:38 PM

When you say "focus automatically" what do you mean? An auto focusing is a bit more complicated than just added an motorized focuser. The reason I ask is I'm in the middle of converting to auto focusing. A little further down that road than you but I'm always interested in how others are planning to use and accomplish it.

SGpro has an auto focus routine, I haven't used it because my imaging scope doesn't have a motorized focuser. I'm not 100% sure how it works but I think you set focus and then after a set temperature change or time frame it will evaluate the image. SGpro has so many features I haven't explored lol

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

I have the Celestron focuser for my Evo 8". Indeed, you can do very fine adjustments (1000 steps/rotation) and with much less vibration than manually. You can control it from a computer or from the hand controller (which I never use since I do EAA). From the computer you can use its own program, or CPWI or Sharpcap. I haven't tried autofocus yet, will soon.

Attached is a downsized screen cap showing how focus, aided by a Bahtinov mask and analyzed by Sharpcap (which detects the difraction pattern), was tuned manually. The chart at the bottom shows the focus quality (short green bars are better), bottom right you see a part of CPWI's tab for controlling the focuser.

Overall I'm very happy with it and this was the last piece (besides StarSense) that I needed in order to observe from indoors or a warm car during the lovely Canadian winters. 

focus.jpg

#6 sandconp

sandconp

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:26 AM

I have the Celestron focuser for my Evo 8". Indeed, you can do very fine adjustments (1000 steps/rotation) and with much less vibration than manually. You can control it from a computer or from the hand controller (which I never use since I do EAA). From the computer you can use its own program, or CPWI or Sharpcap. I haven't tried autofocus yet, will soon.

Attached is a downsized screen cap showing how focus, aided by a Bahtinov mask and analyzed by Sharpcap (which detects the difraction pattern), was tuned manually. The chart at the bottom shows the focus quality (short green bars are better), bottom right you see a part of CPWI's tab for controlling the focuser.

Overall I'm very happy with it and this was the last piece (besides StarSense) that I needed in order to observe from indoors or a warm car during the lovely Canadian winters. 

attachicon.gif focus.jpg

I am in the same boat as you since I live in Minnesota and I have been looking at how I can control my scope indoors and the focuser in the last piece I need. I will be in touch with you later to maybe ask you a few more questions. Thanks.

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

The Optec Leo was purpose built with the Edge scopes in mind. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, equipment, optics, SCT, accessories, beginner, cassegrain, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics