•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

You know, Pete, I really wanna do a better job resolving the rings. If possible. You and I both noted the brighter ring in the B ring butted up against the Cassini division. But, it's really not, they are set back by a fainter B ring, but we have not shown that gap between the bright ring and the division. I know that fainter ring structure is there, it's easily visible in hi res images. But, I'll be darned if it's not hard to see. Same thing with the Enke minimum, it's a dimmer ring structure between two brighter A ring segments. But, it looks very thin (and is not the Enke Gap) compared to the breadth of the A ring. I am wondering what this is telling us about resolution and contrast of the rings. Maybe the dimmer outer edge of the B ring adds to Cassini's visibility.

Look how much distance is between that brighter ring segment and Cassini itself. We should be able to see that. These are not small features. 

https://solarsystem....n_Particles.jpg

Or maybe not...

https://www.cloudyni...-1567613955.png

Edit: thinking more about this, maybe that bright B ring segment really is bright all the way to Cassini, maybe it's just a tad brighter on the inner edge. Now, that's a contrast challenge. Just gotta look closer and see. With that feature and the temperate zones, Saturn really does become a difficult object of low contrast. 

Edited by Asbytec, 06 September 2019 - 06:49 AM.

#27 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

Hi Norme,

Yes the sat image of Saturns rings is attenuated to show details at the expense of human eye response. May have even been shot in ultraviolet or infrared or hydrogen whatever.

To observers it brightens all the way up to the division.  Now Cassinis DOES have rings within it. Trouble is you need the most elite telescope with equally excellent sky's: Pic du Midi .  Stephen James O'Meara and author Sheehan actually observed details within the division but it's a meter~ size aperture!!!!

Pete

• Asbytec likes this

#28 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

Here my last drawing of Saturn around 2014 and I swore off ever drawing anything Astro again because the vomp graphics are just cleaner - for me anyway.

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• post-64701-14074302517972_thumb.jpg

• niteskystargazer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics