•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave GEM mods, including Byers drives

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 charles genovese

charles genovese

Viking 1

• Loc: Madisonville Louisiana

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:27 AM

Also- I was able to fit the Meade digital setting circles in.

Charles

#27 65&Counting

65&Counting

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

Oh - that's just fantastic! Great work Charles!

#28 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

Photoracer18 thanks so much!

I'm really glad you brought up the Starmaster 11 5/16" because I have two of 'em - one older with the attached setting circle (really neat) and another without but both synchronous.

Thinking of doing exactly what you suggest and this helps greatly as to options.

I've read some posts on CN about adding steppers and I've spoken with Ed about it (recently) but he's about done with it all - have you posted anything on CN about the stepper conversion for this gearset? I'd love to get the stepper motors before it's too late and think Ed still has 'em - he told me I'd have to figure out the electronics & that he has someone do that for him as he's a machinist and not electrician - made me feel better :-)

I'd hate to keep adding parts if I can't make 'em work together.

This particular mount was farmed out to someone in PA to build by Barry Greiner of D&G for the late Dr. Green's 6" F15 Jagaers he was putting together. The Byers control box was capable of being modified for a stepper drive in the RA. It uses the original Meade 12v DC tangent arm in the DEC. There are stepper controller boards available. You need to use one capable of micro-stepping and includes some kind of gear reduction box on the end of the motor.

• 65&Counting likes this

#29 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

As for another comment the Cave 12-12.5 scopes generally came on mounts with 1.5" shafts unless it was ordered with an observatory class mount. The one that came on the 12.5" Cass/Newt I have was an early pre-roller bearing mount with a 1.5" RA and a 2" DEC axis (pre-1964 or there about). It was actually the first type of observatory mount as it came with the rectangular aluminum alloy pier.

• tim53, John Higbee and 65&Counting like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics