•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any Intes MC & MN fans?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Any fans of the Russian made Intes  Mak Cass and Mak Newt telescopes? I've owned a few and currently have an Orion Argonaut 150mm f/6 MN that has very nice optics. Its a bit rough cosmetically but the optics are very nice with a Questar like star test and very nice DPAC test as well. what stands out the most is the smooth diffraction rings that look as if they were airbrushed. With a small secondary and smooth well corrected optics its very nice planetary scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg
  • image3.jpeg

• Paul Hyndman, JKAstro, Asbytec and 8 others like this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

I still have two Intes maks.  The 6" and the 7".  Both have excellent optics.  Had the mak newts and was stupid and sold them.    Maks have always had a sweet spot in my collection.

maks.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, doctordub, skyjim and 5 others like this

#3 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

Nice collection there buddy! 

#4 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

Nice collection there buddy! 

Thanks Rolo

• rolo likes this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

While I am not a current owner, I have owned both the 5" and 6" Intes Micro MNs.    As you report, the star tests on both were perfect with exactly the same "airbrushed" quality of the diffraction rings.  I have often typed on this very forum that once you see a really perfect star test, it will look just like the picture of a perfect optic that Suiter shows in his book.

I have owned three telescopes with optics that have provided this "airbrused" look to the star test pattern.  One of them was an Astro-Physics, and the other two where the two Intes Micro Mak Newt Deluxe scopes. 

Once you have seen perfection in the star test, the look of it stays in your mind's eye.  It makes all other scopes that are imperfect in the even the slightest way easy to see.

• rolo and ATM57 like this

#6 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

Any fans of the Russian made Intes  Mak Cass and Mak Newt telescopes? I've owned a few and currently have an Orion Argonaut 150mm f/6 MN that has very nice optics. Its a bit rough cosmetically but the optics are very nice with a Questar like star test and very nice DPAC test as well. what stands out the most is the smooth diffraction rings that look as if they were airbrushed. With a small secondary and smooth well corrected optics its very nice planetary scope.

Yes, owned several.  Superb star test indeed!  The 150 F6 is my favorite.

• rolo likes this

#7 hoof

hoof

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Monroe, WA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:57 PM

I love my Intes Micro MN66.  I bought it almost 10 years ago used.  Didn't use it all that much due to cool-down time.  Then I learned about insulation, wrapped it in Reflectix, and have used it a ton since, as it's now a grab 'n' go.

Excellent optics, very glad I have it, and I'm so glad I didn't sell it before I wrapped it.

• elwaine and rolo like this

#8 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:49 AM

I have two ... a late Intes M615 and Santel MK91 both in beautiful condition, though I have upgraded the focuser on the MK91.

Beginning to think a register of intes maks vs their owners would be good idea.

There are other users with Santels https://www.cloudyni...-cn-viewership/

And then there are the APM/Matthias Wirth ones with Intes glass.. haven’t heard of any here on CN.

Edited by luxo II, 24 June 2019 - 05:01 AM.

• Colin exraaf likes this

#9 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• Loc: Australia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:35 AM

I have the Intes MK-65 - f/10  ....it has a ' fixed mirror ' ...I nearly sold this a while ago ...!!

Super Sharp Optics and I am still trying to get used to the Helical Focuser

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Col.....

Edited by Colin exraaf, 24 June 2019 - 04:43 AM.

• LesB, rolo and Paul Morow like this

#10 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

I have the Intes MK-65 - f/10  ....it has a ' fixed mirror ' ...I nearly sold this a while ago ...!!

Super Sharp Optics and I am still trying to get used to the Helical Focuser

When Maksutovs started to appear in astro markets initially most were offered with fixed primary with R&P or helical focuser, most of these Maks had a limited back focus but gradually the later offerings switched to moving primaries which offered a huge convenience and a lot of extra bacfocus to accommodate accessories that need that extra back focus such as imaging devices and binoviewers.

The moving primaries do have its own issues and at best it is an engineering compromise, a moving primary focusing system converts the Mak to an instrument with constant variable F ratio instrument.

I asked Yuri to give me an explanation for the effects of moving primary, according to him TEC6, a 6" F/12 Mak with moving primary allows the primary to move 5mm toward the meniscus, with 5mm primary move the F/12 system becomes F/14 and it increases the back focus by a little more than 4", that is a huge change to the optical system but the good thing is that pretty much no one is aware of this and assumes that they are looking through an F/12 Mak when viewing planets with their binoviewers and of course manufacturers prefer to remain silent on this issue.

The effects of moving primary is even greater in larger Maksutovs. 

Vahe.

Edited by vahe, 24 June 2019 - 08:06 AM.

• rolo and Colin exraaf like this

#11 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

I have two ... a late Intes M615 and Santel MK91 both in beautiful condition, though I have upgraded the focuser on the MK91.

Beginning to think a register of intes maks vs their owners would be good idea.

There are other users with Santels https://www.cloudyni...-cn-viewership/

And then there are the APM/Matthias Wirth ones with Intes glass.. haven’t heard of any here on CN.

Years ago I had the pleasure of owning one of APM/Matthias Rumak Maksutov Cassegrain with Intes Deluxe optics. It was 10" f/12.5 and it was a phenomenal planetary scope. I remember observing Mars on steady night at 750x and being blown away by the view. The star test beautiful!The scope was custom made for Damian Peach whom I got it from.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2701-small.jpg
  • 2701-small-2.jpg
  • 2701-small-3.jpg

Edited by rolo, 24 June 2019 - 08:25 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, Starman27, Eddgie and 5 others like this

#12 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

While I am not a current owner, I have owned both the 5" and 6" Intes Micro MNs.    As you report, the star tests on both were perfect with exactly the same "airbrushed" quality of the diffraction rings.  I have often typed on this very forum that once you see a really perfect star test, it will look just like the picture of a perfect optic that Suiter shows in his book.

I have owned three telescopes with optics that have provided this "airbrused" look to the star test pattern.  One of them was an Astro-Physics, and the other two where the two Intes Micro Mak Newt Deluxe scopes. 

Once you have seen perfection in the star test, the look of it stays in your mind's eye.  It makes all other scopes that are imperfect in the even the slightest way easy to see.

I recall the first time I saw that kind of star test was with the scope above.

#13 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

I have two Intes scopes.  Fist one I bought is a MK 63 on the fork mount with the small mak guide scope.  Second one I found at a local swap meet, of all places.  It's an MN 56.  I discovered shortly after I bought it that it fits almost perfectly in Takahashi rings for a 130 Tak scope - I just needed thicker felt for the rings to hold the MN 56 tightly.

The MN 56 is a superb planetary instrument.  I haven't tested the scope via DPAC yet, but suspect it will do well.

The MK63 was rather soft both nights I tried it out after I got it.  So I dpac tested the whole scope, then the primary alone via radius of curvature, and found it has a turned edge and a rather large "hole" around the central perforation.  I'm currently in the process of refiguring.  I've gotten rid of the hole, but have a lot of work to do on the TDE.

-Tim.

• rolo likes this

#14 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

I have two Intes scopes.  Fist one I bought is a MK 63 on the fork mount with the small mak guide scope.  Second one I found at a local swap meet, of all places.  It's an MN 56.  I discovered shortly after I bought it that it fits almost perfectly in Takahashi rings for a 130 Tak scope - I just needed thicker felt for the rings to hold the MN 56 tightly.

The MN 56 is a superb planetary instrument.  I haven't tested the scope via DPAC yet, but suspect it will do well.

The MK63 was rather soft both nights I tried it out after I got it.  So I dpac tested the whole scope, then the primary alone via radius of curvature, and found it has a turned edge and a rather large "hole" around the central perforation.  I'm currently in the process of refiguring.  I've gotten rid of the hole, but have a lot of work to do on the TDE.

-Tim.

The early models from what I have seen varied considerably. I had an MK 65 that very good but an early MK63 that a bit soft.. Also had the Orion Argonaut MK66 wich spanked my C8 Deluxe so badly that i sold the C8.

#15 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

The early models from what I have seen varied considerably. I had an MK 65 that very good but an early MK63 that a bit soft.. Also had the Orion Argonaut MK66 wich spanked my C8 Deluxe so badly that i sold the C8.

I had the opposite experience.  I had a MK 65 that was spanked by a C8 I had.  I in turn sold the MK 65.  

#16 stuart keenor

stuart keenor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

I’ve been a fan for many years of Intes Micro started with a 703 deluxe f10, sold that for a mn 8” fantastic scope but aperture fever kicks in so I’ve a 10” Mak Newt , and had a 10” f15 Mak Cass deluxe massive mistake and sold it !! But just acquired another 10” Mak so now I’m happy and not buying anything else!
  • rolo likes this

#17 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

I have owned, and absolutely enjoyed, several I-M scopes: MN56, MN66 and MN76. And I also know where your Intes 10” f/12.5 went, at least for a while...

Attached Thumbnails

• 359B3A8B-2FA5-4C9A-BF4B-69D5ECB70E8A.jpeg

• Eddgie, rolo, psandelle and 3 others like this

#18 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

My current MN61 on semi-permanent loan to a friend’s daughter:

Attached Thumbnails

• 0A0C5CF5-F16E-462B-9823-F6F744655F6E.jpeg

• Colin exraaf likes this

#19 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

I've owned many and enjoyed them all.

Right now I've an MW/APM MN86 and an Intes MN76.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• MW MN86 A.jpg
  • MW MN86 secondary.jpg
  • MN76C.jpg
  • MN76 aa.jpg

• elwaine, rolo, payner and 5 others like this

#20 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

Years ago I had the pleasure of owning one of APM/Matthias Rumak Maksutov Cassegrain with Intes Deluxe optics. It was 10" f/12.5 and it was a phenomenal planetary scope. I remember observing Mars on steady night at 750x and being blown away by the view. The star test beautiful!The scope was custom made for Damian Peach whom I got it from.

Now that is a scope I would love to have....

I am enjoying this tread much more than the usual shoe us your stuff treads.  It is great to see this fantastic group of fine quality telescopes. 

Edited by Eddgie, 24 June 2019 - 12:16 PM.

• elwaine and rolo like this

#21 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

I have owned, and absolutely enjoyed, several I-M scopes: MN56, MN66 and MN76. And I also know where your Intes 10” f/12.5 went, at least for a while...

Larry it never looked better than on that NJP mount!

My current MN61 on semi-permanent loan to a friend’s daughter:

Apparently we think alike!lol.gif  

#22 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

I've owned many and enjoyed them all.

Jeff

The man knows optical quality! I would love to spend a night observing with that 8" model

#23 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

Now that is a scope I would love to have....

I am enjoying this tread much more than the usual shoe us your stuff treads.  It is great to see this fantastic group of fine quality telescopes. 

You gotta get creative to find a new and interesting topic cause it seems that its a been discussed before. I love the pics!

#24 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Rolo

Is two of them "a collection"?

I love my MN 76 Micro and M809 Alter

People wonder why I put up with them UNTIL they look through the eyepiece.

Keeping them in the garage so the temperature stays more in line with outdoors is a hassle but well work it.

• rolo likes this

#25 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

Jeff,

I see that you have some MN's riding on GM8, I am seriously considering one of these smaller equatorial heads since my G11 is just too darn heavy, how much weight can you carry with this mount, visually?

Vahe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics