•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ Mount for Comet Chasing

eq mount
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nzpeterb

nzpeterb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:12 AM

I might be the last person still using the Meade LXD55, but have decided it is time to replace it.

My interests are principally viewing the planets and comets with some photography.

I use an Intes MK67 150mm F12 Mak or Stellarvue 80mm F6 refractor, both without a computer or lap top.

One thing I liked about the LXD55 was that comet ephemerides could be added so you could use the go to to find comets that sometimes can't be seen until captured with a camera.

However about the time Windows 10 turned up the flakey RS232 interface stopped working despite trying several different adapters.

Since then I have had to find comets by going to a nearby star then working my way across to the comet.

Ideally a new mount would allow me to add comet ephemerides again, so my question is what mounts allow that?

So far the only range of mounts I can see that allow user ephemerides to be added is the iOptron. This is done directly on the hand controller and not via computer. Are there any others?

An acceptable alternative is plugging the mount or hand controller into a computer to update the comet information but I would still want to use the mount remote from the computer.

I note that Sky Watcher and Celestron EQ mounts allow user items to be added, but you need to add the RA/DEC for each night of viewing rather than ephemerides. 

A second question is regarding RS232. Are mounts using adapters stable and always work as they should or is my experience of the Meade typical.

Thanks for any feedback

Regards,

Peter Barnett

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics