•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New edition of Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas coming!

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

I saw this in another thread from @grzesznypl  and thought it deserved its own topic.

https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry9401112

FWMedia
Suzanne (F+W Customer Service)
May 29, 11:43 MDT
Good morning,
Thank you for contacting us. The current Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas is out of stock.  We're expecting another, updated edition to come out later this year. Have a great day, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!
Thank you
Suzanne
F+W Customer Service

I would imagine that they are revising the regular PSA as well, but that was not mentioned.  I also speculated in the other thread that the updated star names from the IAU were at least a part of the motivation for a new edition.

• pugliano likes this

#2 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

Being that FWMedia doesn't have any relationship with Sky & Telescope, you might reach out again and see what is going to happen (if anyone knows yet).

Dan

• Michael Covington likes this

#3 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

As I understand it, while the AAS has won the auction for Sky & Telescope, they have not yet officially taken over ownership.  F+W Media is still the owner for the moment.  However, I think it's likely that the AAS will take over soon.  The PSA and JPSA strikes me as some of S&T's more popular products.  I would be surprised if they throttled an in-progress revision of the atlas.

I do agree that it would be nice to get more confirmation after the handover.

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

As I understand it, while the AAS has won the auction for Sky & Telescope, they have not yet officially taken over ownership.  F+W Media is still the owner for the moment.  However, I think it's likely that the AAS will take over soon.

That's probably true. No doubt there will be some blips when the ownership transfer actually takes place -- such as in the details in online ordering. There certainly were at the last change of ownership.

Personally, I am reluctant to buy anything new from S&T until it's clear that the transfer has taken place. I would hate to give my money to F+W rather than the AAS!

The PSA and JPSA strikes me as some of S&T's more popular products.  I would be surprised if they throttled an in-progress revision of the atlas.

As I understand it, both Roger Sinnott and Gregg Dinderman, the driving forces behind the PSA and JPSA, are enthusiastic about producing new editions. And it's hard to imagine the AAS not agreeing, since it would obviously make good business sense.

To put things in the least flattering light, upgrades are how companies make more money off existing products. To put things in a more flattering light, Roger and Gregg are constitutionally incapable of trying to pass off dross as gold. Whatever changes are made, I'm sure they will enhance the value of the atlases significantly.

If I were in charge, I could easily specify a half dozen detailed charts that would be extremely helpful in some of the more crowded regions of the sky. And I know from past experience that anything I can do, Roger can do better.

• Jon Isaacs, George N, faackanders2 and 4 others like this

#5 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

"If I were in charge"​

​Run for President Tony, I will vote for you! smile.gif 

#6 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

On my wish list would be a  Companion to the PSA that would include DSOs, Double Stars, and Variable Stars plotted. 

Steve T 

#7 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

And add in charts of the Moon!  Maybe an 8 section map at the scale of their Field Map of the Moon.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 25 June 2019 - 10:53 PM.

• RobertED, Swamp Fox, steve t and 2 others like this

#8 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

And add in charts of the Moon!  Maybe an 8 section map at the scale of their Field Map of the Moon.

Dave

+1

Steve T 

• RobertED likes this

#9 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

I saw this in another thread from @grzesznypl  and thought it deserved its own topic.

https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry9401112

I would imagine that they are revising the regular PSA as well, but that was not mentioned.  I also speculated in the other thread that the updated star names from the IAU were at least a part of the motivation for a new edition.

Updated star names?

#10 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

Updated star names?

The IAU standardized names a few years ago.  I think that they chose some spellings over others.  Also, in at least one case, a star name had been used for more than one star.  The name "Atik" had been used by various sources for either Zeta Persei and Omicron Persei.  The IAU settled on Omicron while the PSA had it associated with Zeta.  There were probably some other conflicts that were resolved as well.  I don't recall.

#11 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

Just noticed that Amazon is taking pre orders for the second edition of the JPSA.

The change for the second edition is that it will have lists for carbon stars and nearest stars (from the cover).

Steve T 

• ascii likes this

#12 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

Just noticed that Amazon is taking pre orders for the second edition of the JPSA.

The change for the second edition is that it will have lists for carbon stars and nearest stars (from the cover).

Steve T 

Very nice!  I look forward to the new edition.

I've noticed that S&T's Shop@Sky online store has been down for some time due to the transition from F+W to AAS.  The notice posted in its place indicates that they should be back up by the end of the August.

• steve t likes this

#13 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

Steve T

Considering the lack of a carbon star list was my solitary complaint with the first edition, I think I'll be buying the heck out of this.

#14 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

Considering the lack of a carbon star list was my solitary complaint with the first edition, I think I'll be buying the heck out of this.

A while back I posted my listings of the carbon stars in the Pocket Sky Atlas (link => https://www.cloudyni...cket-sky-atlas/ ).

For this who missed this 2012 info, attached are the listings (updated with the typo correction mentioned in the thread) in PDF format: one by constellation and one by page no.

(But please, don't let me dissuade you from making another astronomy book/atlas purchase!)

Attached Files

• desertstars, Carl Kolchak, ianatcn and 5 others like this

#15 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:03 AM

Do i need a 4-th PSA (2 pocket and one Jumbo i own already)? I don't know. 

#16 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

If the only difference is the inclusion of carbon stars, then I'll stay with the Jumbo I have.

But for those of you who are into them, the new edition must indeed be exciting!

• desertstars and Steve Cox like this

#17 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

It is nice that they will be adding a list of carbon stars,  but what I would really like to see is a companion catalog, like the one for the old Atlas of the Heaven published back in the 1970s . 

Steve T  

• Starman1 and Michael2 like this

#18 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

Anyone have any idea if this is still coming out?

#19 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:20 PM

Found only one copy available..in Japan!

https://www.amazon.c...=isbnsnet_us-22

Edited by pugliano, 14 December 2019 - 10:21 PM.

#20 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:44 AM

Yes it is, just not before the new year.

Edited by swalker, 16 December 2019 - 08:04 AM.

• ascii likes this

#21 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Yes it is, just not before the new year.

Excellent!  (Though it would have been more excellent to have under the tree this year.)

#22 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

Another question, is it just the JPSA getting updated, or is the regular PSA getting updated too?

#23 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

Another question, is it just the JPSA getting updated, or is the regular PSA getting updated too?

Both the Pocket Sky Atlas and the Jumbo version are getting updates. We had to delay production due to the demise of our former corporate overlords. But it is back on track, and we are hoping to release it early next year.

• Joe Bergeron, John Gauvreau, eros312 and 8 others like this

#24 MikelFR

MikelFR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:25 AM

Please, when comes the release? Any idea?

Thanks!

#25 jura87

jura87

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:56 PM

Amazon has Pocket Sky Atlas pocket edition on preorder allready, they stated that will be delivered during May. At least in Europe.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics