•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New edition of Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas coming!

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

They did change the cover slightly...

But this is the Pocket Sky Atlas, not the JUMBO Pocket Sky Atlas... 

#102 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

But this is the Pocket Sky Atlas, not the JUMBO Pocket Sky Atlas... 

Compare the covers of the old and new Jumbo PSA.

Old:

https://skyandtelesc...Atlas-Jumbo.jpg

New:

https://www.shopatsk...jd3smolmdl4qm3#

The old one has a Sky & Telescope logo in the bottom left corner.  The new one does not.

It's not iron-clad proof that it contains new content, but there is a difference in the covers.

#103 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

Thanks ascii.... I do see (and also previously saw) what you’re pointing out.

Still, from what I thought we were going to get to what appears we’re getting, there seems to be a gap.

I’m referring specifically to posts 11, 23, 26 and 48 in the thread.

Kevin

Edited by Knasal, 02 August 2020 - 09:59 AM.

#104 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:52 AM

I've seen no claims or evidence that an atlas as pictured in the Amazon pre-order (cover art of a person sitting on the rocks under a starry sky) was ever sold or even printed.  My guess is that it showed an early concept for a new cover that was abandoned for the more traditional, lightly updated cover on the new JPSA and PSA that they just started selling.  I'm guessing that the new content probably didn't change, just the cover.  The description of new edition now for sale also mentions "Includes nearest stars and carbon stars".  I assume that means "lists" of those.

It's only fair to mention that the original JPSA had ten close-up charts, same as the new one.  It's only the regular PSA that got a bump up from four to ten.

Until we know more, anyone who has the original JPSA may not yet have a compelling reason to get the new one.  Maybe there is enough of an update to be worth replacing an old one, but we'll have to wait and see.  The regular PSA is different in that it got the big boost in close-up charts.

• Knasal and csphere.d like this

#105 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

Until we know more, anyone who has the original JPSA may not yet have a compelling reason to get the new one.

Probably not. I know there are a lot of errors corrected, but that's probably not sufficient reason to replace a perfectly usable copy. I'm not sure if there are any new close-up charts; probably not enough to matter, if any.

The number of errors in the Pocket Sky Atlas has been steadily decreasing ever since first publication, but few people seem to have noticed. Even with best efforts, all star altases (and terrestrial atlases) have numerous errors; it's unavoidable.

Of course if your copy is wearing out, that would be a compelling reason.

• George N and Knasal like this

#106 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:15 PM

According to my account on Shop at Sky, my PSA has shipped.  FedEx tracking says it should arrive day after tomorrow.  snoopy2.gif

Note that tracking directly through the link on Shop at Sky doesn't seem to work, but I can copy and paste the provided tracking number into FedEx's web site.

• SteveV and csphere.d like this

#107 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

Shop at Sky has updated the labeling on both the PSA and JPSA as "second edition" now.  That should help clarify things.

• George N, csphere.d and RickM. like this

#108 csphere.d

csphere.d

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chandler, AZ 33*N, 112*W

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:28 PM

Shop at Sky has updated the labeling on both the PSA and JPSA as "second edition" now.  That should help clarify things.

And it looks like they have updated the description on the JPSA as well.  Now it is very clear as to what to expect. 

I am glad I was wrong about what was coming, this should be indeed the 2nd edition!  

#109 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Pocket Sky Atlas - What Changed in the 2nd Edition

I received my second edition Pocket Sky Atlas today.  Aside from very minor rearrangements, here is a brief overview of what I consider important differences, corrections or mistakes.  There are almost certainly others, but these are the ones I was either on the lookout for or stumbled upon.

The Good:

• There are the same ten close up charts as the first, and presumably second, edition Jumbo Pocket Sky atlas.
  • The name Graffias has been removed from β Sco on chart 56, complying with new IAU naming.
  • Rigil Kentaurus is now spelled out instead of abbreviated on chart 48.
  • 21 Tau is now labeled Asterope instead of Sterope on chart A, complying with new IAU naming.
  • There are indexes of carbon and nearby stars, as promised.
  • There is a new Preface by Roger Sinnott, in addition to the Introduction.

The Iffy:

• β1 and β2 Sgr are still labeled together as Arkab instead of Arkab Prior and Arkab Posterior.  This is not exactly in compliance with the new IAU naming, but it’s pretty close.

The Bad:

• On chart 13 the name Atik is still associated with ζ Per.  It should be applied to ο Per, according to the new IAU naming.

Overall, I am pleased and give them a grade of A-.

Let us know what else you find, when you get yours.

Edited by ascii, Yesterday, 02:19 PM.

• George N, KidOrion, BradFran and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics