•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS-Optics 61EDPH - 5-Element Flatfield Apo 61 mm Aperture F/4.5

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:21 AM

Zoltan at 365 is always helpful. I do like my 61 EDPH. Beautiful little grab and go scope. Love to hear your views on it when it arrives.

All the best of the season,

Glen.

• GTom likes this

#27 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

Thank you Glen

Clear skies!

#28 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

I don't think you will be sorry now that you have ordered the 61 EDPH. It works fine straight out of the box for visual. I just need a Dioptryx now for my bad astigmatism ( 3 diopter)frown.gif

Glen.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#29 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:39 PM

Here you can find Sharpstar 61 for cheapest price

https://h5.aliexpres...t.4000073932109

#30 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

Here you can find Sharpstar 61 for cheapest price

https://h5.aliexpres...t.4000073932109

Add EU import and it won't be cheaper than 365's pricing. In case of any mishap/warranty issues, you have to deal with a chinese shipping back and forth.

I personally skipped this scope. Like the concept very much, but have a canon 200mm f2.8L for this focal range which is perfect at f3.5.

Edited by GTom, 30 December 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#31 groupoid

groupoid

Explorer 1

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:36 PM

The lowest price I found is by some seller on Amazon (you will easily find it, there is only one). It's the same price as 365 Astronomy, but the shipping is much cheaper.

Actually, I could not resist and bought it yesterday. It was shipped today, and I got a tracking number (from China). We shall see. It's a bit of a gamble, but Amazon protection policies are quite solid.

Edited by groupoid, 30 December 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#32 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:01 AM

I don't think you will be sorry now that you have ordered the 61 EDPH. It works fine straight out of the box for visual. I just need a Dioptryx now for my bad astigmatism ( 3 diopter)frown.gif

Glen.

Ouch, annoying astigmatisme.. I have special glasses for that made,can't see a darn thing in normal life with thoselol.gif  they only work on my telescope and focus!

#33 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:04 AM

The lowest price I found is by some seller on Amazon (you will easily find it, there is only one). It's the same price as 365 Astronomy, but the shipping is much cheaper.

Actually, I could not resist and bought it yesterday. It was shipped today, and I got a tracking number (from China). We shall see. It's a bit of a gamble, but Amazon protection policies are quite solid.

Yes , but I don't trust it.

Meaning coming from China to Belgium it may wind up being stuck in customs.

You have to pay import taxes and VAT..

Some of my friends reported trouble with stuff coming from US to Belgium via Amazon.

That is why I bought a book through Amazon Germany  to avoid the hassle

#34 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

Prices on 365astronmy are real good for that scope...Off course it was on sale with 10 % reduction ,all that made it a lot cheaper then from anybody here continent side. they run out of reducers..but I can wait

I cannot understand that in this case TS is very expensive although most of the time they have the most favorable prices...

#35 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:11 AM

Ouch, annoying astigmatisme.. I have special glasses for that made,can't see a darn thing in normal life with thoselol.gif  they only work on my telescope and focus!

I must admit that focusing is difficult at the moment frown.gif The focuser is buttery smooth though which helps.

Glen.

#36 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:59 AM

Yeah Eyesight  is going downhill, that is maybe i started out for AP.

Something i never even considered...

#37 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

Add EU import and it won't be cheaper than 365's pricing. In case of any mishap/warranty issues, you have to deal with a chinese shipping back and forth.

I personally skipped this scope. Like the concept very much, but have a canon 200mm f2.8L for this focal range which is perfect at f3.5.

Yes , it depends what you want , i see a canon 200 at F/2.8 about the same price as this scope. Fast lens of course and probably pure for AP better, i guess

But you can 't use it visually.

#38 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

I have one of these, The TS Optics version, completely outfitted for autofocus using the Pegasus Focus Motor Kit v2, however we have had nothing but clouds and bad nights so I have been unable to test it fully. I also have a 51mm SpaceCat v2 with the Astro Dad v3 focus motor installed, which is also in the same boat. 

Are we talking about a doublet or quadruplet astrograph?. I for one am quite interested in a widefield astrograph -- not a finderscope looking item likethe Redcat, but that 61mm, or, .

The RedCat is not a "finderscope". I have the SpaceCat v2 right next to me, and its quite a bit more impressive than any finderscope I have ever seen. Not sure what made you formulate that opinion, but its wrong. 

#39 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Indeed, the 'cats' are petzval designs.

You could argue that is has very limited aperture, but i am sure for AP i would be a great scope. And recently i have learned that many use it visual too..

61 mm is not that much bigger anyhow

How do you like your TS 61 EDPH?

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 02 January 2020 - 01:27 PM.

#40 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

Indeed, the 'cats' are petzval designs.

You could argue that is has very limited aperture, but i am sure for AP i would be a great scope. And recently i have learned that many use it visual too..
61 mm is not that much bigger anyhow

How do you like your TS 61 EDPH?

For ultra wide field, the Cat is nice. I don't see it being perfect across a full frame chip, but I don't personally need it to be.

The TS61 seems well made. Haven't used it due to weather being terrible.
  • F.Meiresonne likes this

#41 groupoid

groupoid

Explorer 1

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

Mine has arrived today (ordered from Amazon on Dec 30).

There are some dings on the handle, but otherwise looks and smells like new. Has a signed optical test report and was triple boxed (no star test, just a few checkboxes including "collimation").

Surprisingly, it has TS logos on it, not Sharpstar. I guess it's the same scope anyway.

Focuser is very smooth. Of course, it caused some bad weather around the whole Michigan, so I can't test it yet.

The price with reducer was $630 shipped; which is effectively $600 because of some amazon prime related cashback. YMMV.

Not a bad deal at all.

• GlenM likes this

#42 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

That is unexpensive.

Have not heard from my supplier, so i have no idea when i will get it...

On the site of TS they are really expensive.I don't  know but i don't think they are different from the Sharpstar label ...still it remains unsure what type of glass they hold. Only TS talks about  FPL53

#43 groupoid

groupoid

Explorer 1

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

still it remains unsure what type of glass they hold. Only TS talks about  FPL53

My guess is that, if one of them is confirmed FPL-53 (which is at least what TS says, as well as several resellers of Sharpstar, but not Sharpstar website), then all of them should have it. I doubt that you can switch between glasses and preserve focal length and ratio without changing the objective design.

To compare the weights with other small scopes, on this picture SV70T is 6.3 lb, and TS 61 EDPH 4.76 lb, both with reducers.

I guess you can remove handle and finder shoe to decrease the weight.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0790 2-1.jpg

• denis0007dl likes this

#44 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

I ordered for the Sharpstar version on Aliepress but by the time I paid, it was out of stock on the seller's page. There were so many orders during the Christmas period and it is a beautiful small scope. Almost like a Christmas ornament. smile.gif

He sent me a message and asked if I can accept the TS version which he claims is even more expensive and that the only difference in aesthetics is the logo. I played hard to get,IMG_20200103_1853257_compress66.jpg since I knew he wouldn't want to part with the already paid money. He threw in some adapters as gift and I closed the deal. He shipped and I received .
  • groupoid likes this

#45 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

Gosh i must be crazy but today i ordered the  76 mm version also doah.gif ...that is a triplet ...

Just could not resist..

Having  a 61 mm coming, together with a 102 mm F/7 owning this should really give me wide possibility for AP.

I bought in from TS Germany..they have it in stock...

Still no news about the 61 mm though....just waiting...fingertap.gif

• GlenM likes this

#46 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

I envy your bank account

#47 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Who says i payed for it ?lol.gif

• GlenM likes this

#48 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

• Who says i payed for it ?lol.gif

Now, I am lost. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#49 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

Nice birthday presents, Freddy. All the best. I have never received any shipping advice from 365astronomy, but don't worry.

Glen.

#50 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:43 AM

Yes Glen i think so too.laugh.gif

Crazy but true the 76 mm version will probably arrive much sooner then his little brother...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics