•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Z103 First Light - Where's my dust? Iris Nebula

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

Hi All,

First time out with my Zenithstar 103. Great scope and the CEM25p handles it no problem. Over 2 nights I captured 4.5 hours of the Iris Nebula and lost some subs due to airplane streaks and clouds.

Here is my poor attempt at processing 4 hours of data in Photoshop. 83 subs, 3 minutes each (gain 50 offset 10) at -10deg.  30 each dark/flat/bias.

https://photos.app.g...mX1tvBECacLZtt6

I feel like I should see a lot more dust. I know I shouldn't compare but Trevor on AstroBackyard was able to pull out brown dust against the black background in a 44 minute stack using a similar scope and similar OSC camera in similar light pollution.

I tried a run with the "screen mask invert" technique but didn't have much success.

If anyone wants to give the data a try, here is the link to the stack out of DSS (with changes embedded but not applied):

https://drive.google...ew?usp=sharing 

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

What did you do in DSS after stacking?
After DSS?

#3 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

A bit more stretch.

Attached Thumbnails

• Iris-Nebula_4hrs_83x3min.jpg

• elmiko and artem2 like this

#4 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

What did you do in DSS after stacking?
After DSS?

Tapio, nothing else in DSS after stacking.

Photoshop was various levels, curves, Gradient Xterminator and some astro tools like star shrink, noise reduction and DSO enhancement.  The balanced sky background is RGB 30/30/30.

As mentioned, I tried the screen mask invert which I've seen used to bring out IFN (online tutorials) but it didn't seem to do much.

einarin, thanks it looks like you pulled out a bit more than me. Maybe I could stretch more, I was trying to avoid too much noise.    That amp glow on the right side seems to calibrate out if I do GradientXterminator early in the process but if I do it early it seems to mute the colors. If I do it too late, it won't calibrate out. 

I thought it would calibrate out entirely with my darks/flats/bias. Maybe one of the default settings in DSS should be changed? 

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• **---
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

You'll love the Z103. I assume you got the focal reducer/flattener as well? Did you get the manual rotator? I've been getting round stars right out to the edges using the flattener. 

I have mine mounted on my 11 year old SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro mount and use PoleMaster to "tighten-up" the guiding.

BTW: I highly recommend Noel Carboni's Astro Flat Pro. I have Gradient XTerminator too, but  AstroFlat is almost a no brainer, 1-step process that does magic before your eyes! I think you can get a trial for 30 days. Very much worth the 50 bucks or so.  Here's my cropped Iris using my Z103 and ZWO ASI1600 Colour CMOS....taken last year under heavy forest fire smoke drifting in from Alberta.

Iris Nebula NGC7023 Final_Proc 3 - Cropped 5 x 7_5.jpg

Edited by RandallK, 24 June 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#6 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Minimally processed in PI...Dynamic Crop, ABE, SCNR, MLT and HT stretch

Outside of the amp glow this looks pretty good to me. I'd want more integration time now to enhance the dust but some more careful processing could improve what you have

Attached Thumbnails

• Iris_Nebula_4hrs_83x3min_1__ABE.jpg

Edited by terry59, 24 June 2019 - 11:30 AM.

#7 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

Tapio, nothing else in DSS after stacking.

Photoshop was various levels, curves, Gradient Xterminator and some astro tools like star shrink, noise reduction and DSO enhancement.  The balanced sky background is RGB 30/30/30.

As mentioned, I tried the screen mask invert which I've seen used to bring out IFN (online tutorials) but it didn't seem to do much.

einarin, thanks it looks like you pulled out a bit more than me. Maybe I could stretch more, I was trying to avoid too much noise.    That amp glow on the right side seems to calibrate out if I do GradientXterminator early in the process but if I do it early it seems to mute the colors. If I do it too late, it won't calibrate out. 

I thought it would calibrate out entirely with my darks/flats/bias. Maybe one of the default settings in DSS should be changed? 

Just here to say I watched Mononoke last night. That's all. grin.gif

#8 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

You'll love the Z103. I assume you got the focal reducer/flattener as well? Did you get the manual rotator? I've been getting round stars right out to the edges using the flattener. 

I have mine mounted on my 11 year old SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro mount and use PoleMaster to "tighten-up" the guiding.

BTW: I highly recommend Noel Carboni's Astro Flat Pro. I have Gradient XTerminator too, but  AstroFlat is almost a no brainer, 1-step process that does magic before your eyes! I think you can get a trial for 30 days. Very much worth the 50 bucks or so.

I am very happy with it so far. I do have the focal reducer/flattener. I am actually not sure I need it with the size of the 183 chip but it helps with back focus anyway. 

I will look into Astro Flat Pro. I have Carboni's astro tools. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just here to say I watched Mononoke last night. That's all. grin.gif

Excellent choice!

Terry59, thank you for giving it a shot. The dust looks much better. I am really considering PixInsight but want to get a few more stacked images so I have several to work on during my 45 day trial.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics