•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Forgot to save my files!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

I made a boneheaded mistake last night.

I have had my mount set up in the backyard for the past week imaging almost every night! I bring my scope and camera inside every morning, then cover the mount with a Telegizmo cover.

So last night I setup, turned the laptop on, and recalibrate the mount in Phd 2 guiding. I wasn't too happy with my guide rms from the night before. I was waiting for my primary target to rise high enough to image . There is a huge wildfire about 40 miles away. I could see the haze in the sky reflecting the Phoenix light pollution dome. I thought to just abort the whole idea of imaging.

Then when I looked to the south, the sky looked a lot less hazy. So I figured why not capture an object in the area. I chose the Prawn Nebula in Scorpius. Figured I would get an hour or so on this target until my primary target ( The Cocoon Nebula) had risen high enough out of the smokey haze. 

So I ended up getting an hour on the Prawn Nebula, then skewed over to the east a bit, and captured an hour on M20. By the end of those runs at midnight, the Cocoon Nebula was high enough to start capturing 5min subs until it . Awesome I can now get another 3 hours on it! Slewed to Deneb to focus, slewed to the target, plate solve, get the guiding going, beautiful total rms averaging .7 !! Started the 3 hour session. Went to bed.

Got up this morning, brought my laptop and scope and camera inside. Popped the USB drive into my processing computer to check the subs in Blink, awesome tool in Pixinsite. No where to be found!!!!bawling.gif I had forgotten to direct all of my data onto the USB drive. So last night was a total loss. Maybe it was a sign from the imaging Gods. Maybe through all that smoke from the wildfire my subs were not that good anyways.

Don't you just love this hobby.

Mike

Edited by elmiko, 24 June 2019 - 10:06 AM.

• OldManSky likes this

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

I have done the same thing. Neither of us will ever do it again.

My other famous bone-head move was to leave the cameras in "simulator mode" after I did some day-light software testing. The rig happily downloaded DSS images all night long. The imaging camera results were pretty grainy looking, but my guiding was rock steady.

• elmiko, tcchittyjr and PirateMike like this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Funny story Ken. I don't feel so bad now.

#4 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

I feel for you. I saw that fire start up a few days back on this site.

https://www.ssd.noaa...5-loop-vis.html

• elmiko likes this

#5 kisstek

kisstek

Ranger 4

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

I don't get it. Wasn't the files saved somewhere? Or does your SW just silently throw them away because it doesn't remember the last location nor has a default path? If it's the latter, I'd be asking for a refund as there's no excuse for that.

• elmiko and Dynan like this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Hi Mike, ya I use Nebulosity 4 for aquisition. If you don't give it a path it's like doing a preview of a frame and focus routine.

Thanks for your input, Mike

#7 kisstek

kisstek

Ranger 4

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

Hi Mike, ya I use Nebulosity 4 for aquisition. If you don't give it a path it's like doing a preview of a frame and focus routine.

Yuck! I guess I'm glad Nebulousity always crashed whenever I tried it. APT remembers its path, which is one less thing for me to have to remember.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like you were having a good night otherwise. And good nights seem to be pretty rare this year for a lot of us.

• elmiko likes this

#8 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Messenger

• Loc: 36°N, 92°W Ozark Mountains on the White River

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

there was the night I setup the file path correctly ...but then forgot to plug in the external HD where I told it to send the subs....bawling.gif  I think the same thing happened - it treated them as temp files...anyways I never did find them.  Sorry!

• elmiko likes this

#9 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest IL (for now)

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

I totally feel your pain Mike, but at least you got your gear out to image. The skies were clear here in NW Illinois at 9:30. Thought, hmm let me grab my gear and set up and in 30 minutes clouds - AGAIN. Well at least it didn’t rain...yet undecided.gif

• elmiko likes this

#10 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:13 AM

OMG, that's horrible.  It would be good for Neb4 (which I don't use) to differentiate a preview button from a capture/start sequence button, or at least give you a big fat dialog saying "hey astrodood, you have no path, so you're previewing your next 100 subs??"

On the bright side, you're imaging almost every night (or should I say, previewing)! flowerred.gif

-Ara

• elmiko and kisstek like this

#11 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

OMG, that's horrible.  It would be good for Neb4 (which I don't use) to differentiate a preview button from a capture/start sequence button, or at least give you a big fat dialog saying "hey astrodood, you have no path, so you're previewing your next 100 subs??"

On the bright side, you're imaging almost every night (or should I say, previewing)! flowerred.gif

-Ara

Yes , Ara, that is a great idea about some pop up warning. 

Good news though. I ended up losing only the nights first target, The Prawn Nebula in Scorpius. 

Yesterday when I took a closer look at the subs on the USB drive , I realized that I had alot more subs of the Cocoon Nebula than I should have had. When you scroll the curser over the fits files it shows the date and time. Looking closer at each different set I scrolled down and forgot about the date change.... I would start imaging the Cocoon Nebula around 2300 and Capture until Astronomical twilight at 0330. So I must have got my days mixed up or something. 

So in conclusion, I am only half bone headed. Lol ! At least until the next time I do something wrong.

Clear skies all, Mike

• pgs/sdg likes this

#12 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

I totally feel your pain Mike, but at least you got your gear out to image. The skies were clear here in NW Illinois at 9:30. Thought, hmm let me grab my gear and set up and in 30 minutes clouds - AGAIN. Well at least it didn’t rain...yet undecided.gif

Sorry to hear that. Seems like it has been clear skies during the full Moon and back to cloudy nights during the New Moon. Go figure! Mike

#13 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

Get a dedicated laptop for your astronomy hobby and don’t use it for anything else. But wouldn’t it be safer to let your capture program save the files to the default location it wants to save the file to? Then they always get saved despite the best efforts of the interface between the chair and the keyboard. 

• elmiko and tcchittyjr like this

#14 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

Get a dedicated laptop for your astronomy hobby and don’t use it for anything else. But wouldn’t it be safer to let your capture program save the files to the default location it wants to save the file to? Then they always get saved despite the best efforts of the interface between the chair and the keyboard. 

My aquisition laptop is only used for this. I don't even turn the WiFi on unless I have to download software.

I save my subs on a USB drive. In Nebulosity 4 you have to physically choose the path before you click the capture program button. If you forget it treats them like a preview and doesn't save them. I don't want them saved on the hard drive for fear of bogging down the system. That happened to my first laptop.

#15 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

Are you sure about that? I just downloaded the manual, big believer in manuals, and this is what I found in section 6.3.3, “The default directory is located in "My Documents" (Windows) or “Documents” (OS X) in a folder called "Nebulosity". If you use the default directory and it doesn't exist, Nebulosity will attempt to create it. If you forget to set the directory you actually want to use and capture a night's worth of data, this is where it is. If you use a different directory and pull down Save Preferences from the Preferences menu, the current directory will be saved as the default.” 

I might be wrong but it looks like Nebulosity does its best to save its users from themselves. Are your sure your images aren’t hidden there? 

• elmiko likes this

#16 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

Thanks,  I will have to check it.  I have the older version 4.1 good to know!

Mike 

#17 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

I did find it in the preferences. So I could open a new folder and direct the subs to go there. 

But if I want them to go to my USB thumb drive  I  would select that for my directory.  Correct?

#18 Iver

Iver

Mariner 2

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

I image from my home almost exclusively, however I don't have much southern exposure! A few years ago I decided to go to a dark site about a 90 min. drive away to image some southern targets. I got there and set up, I guess I got out of my routine, after I spent a few hrs. on the Lagoon and  the Trifid I started packing up and realized I hadn't checked the "Auto save" box. So I went home with nothing for my efforts!  All you can do is say Oh Well!!!

#19 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

I image from my home almost exclusively, however I don't have much southern exposure! A few years ago I decided to go to a dark site about a 90 min. drive away to image some southern targets. I got there and set up, I guess I got out of my routine, after I spent a few hrs. on the Lagoon and  the Trifid I started packing up and realized I hadn't checked the "Auto save" box. So I went home with nothing for my efforts!  All you can do is say Oh Well!!!

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully we only do it once. Glad we got that out of the way!

Mike

#20 kisstek

kisstek

Ranger 4

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

To err is human. But to write software that assumes the user is perfect is just laziness on my fellow SW developers' part. I'm coming to the conclusion that my profession needs to adopt the Hippocratic Oath: Do no harm!

Or I'm just grumpy from having been dealing with tech support for an app that "helpfully" deletes all of your code if you uncheck the wrong button. A button that tech support tells you to uncheck and that didn't used to delete all of your work. Grumble, grumble. smile.gif

Edited by kisstek, 26 June 2019 - 11:14 PM.

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics