•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aftermarket accessories

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

I have recently gotten t third-party Barlow lens for my Q3.5. The build quality seems to be the same as the Dakin, and the optical quality is yet to be tested. I'm curious as to the provenance of the non-factory accessories-- since the Q is so niched, I don't imagine there are many cheap knock-off parts made. Like I said, just curious...

#2 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

Is your Barlow a vintage 3rd party Barlow?  Or is for use at the eyepiece 1.25" port?

For modern parts I know of:

* theAdriano Lolli Construzioni Ottiche Meccaniche axial port adapter

* the Televue eyepiece diopter adapter ( not sure why the make this anymore, the modern Questar part seems more flexible)

* Vernonscope sells Questar threaded eyepieces.  They also have adapters to and from Questar filter threads and standard 1.25" filters 

* Daystar Quark narrow band solar filters

Other 3rd party accessories that work with the Questar work because Questar uses some standard part sizes.

* 1.25" eyepieces,  although many do not come to focus in the finder.

* 1.25" eyepiece barrel barlow lenses

* 95mm is a standard big lens diameter and threaded filters and lens caps will filter the Questar.

* M42 camera bayonet adapters.  The Questar 42x1.0mm (P-thread) was used by several brands of vintage lenses and it's relatively easy to find

parts that work with the Questar extension tubes, and camera adapter parts.  (This is not the same as T-ring 42x0.75mm thread parts which require an adapter to work with the Questar parts).

* Tripods and mounts that use the 1/4x20TPI camera thread in the Questar base.

• eyekazoo likes this

#3 LTZ

LTZ

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

Reviews are mixed on the Lolli axial port adapter.  I took a chance, and it did not work for me.  Others here have had success with it.  

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

I suspect that any inexpensive non-Questar full-aperture solar filter (from a reputably safe source) will vastly outperform the off-axis filter.

I just bought some inexpensive P to Z (new Nikon mount) adapters on Ebay, including one thin profile one that will get the film plane very close to the control box to capture more of the image circle.  Most adapters for mirrorless (and their short flange to focal plane distance) are tubes of some length to position create a mount plane where a vintage lens (like a Q700) would expect it.

#5 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

I suspect that any inexpensive non-Questar full-aperture solar filter (from a reputably safe source) will vastly outperform the off-axis filter.

I have a Thousand Oaks full-aperture solar filter that I purchased for my TV-85.  As it was, I needed to line the frame with a bit of the soft Velcro fabric to make a snug fit.  When I tried it on my Questar, it fit over the front of the OTA with the dew shield retracted, just like on the TV-85.

Yes, the image seen with the full aperture solar filter is *much* brighter than with the off-axis solar filter.  These days, with nothing much going on in white light on the Sun's surface, I find the less-bright image from the off-axis solar filter much easier to view.

smp

#6 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

Is your Barlow a vintage 3rd party Barlow?  Or is for use at the eyepiece 1.25" port?

I have Dakin 1.5x Barlow and a new 3.0x Barlow.   They both fit the late model "large" 30mm axial port.  The Questar photo coupling tube set fits behind the Barlow.   These will be used to extend the FL for photography.

#7 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:12 AM

I was tempted to buy the Seymour Solar filter, glass 95 mm screw-fit filter version, as the quality of my other glass Seymour Solar filter is quite good (on my Meade 2045). But among all my current solar filters (ETX90 glass, Seymour glass, Baader solar safety film) the home-made ones with Baader solar safety film seem to give the sharpest image. I'm still comparing, still wavering.

(It's kind of hard to compare them with no current sunspot activity.)

Edited by munirocks, 25 June 2019 - 06:14 AM.

#8 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Look at granulation to evaluate.
  • Loren Gibson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics